WTB: mATX LGA775 mobo (USA)

CPU Fan

Honorable
Jan 7, 2014
As the title says, I have an old gateway that has two bad RAM channels. I had to remove two sticks to get it to post and it is now down to 2GB total. I would like to get it to a usable 4GB again, but buying DDR2 new is ridiculous now.

wardozer9

Distinguished
Oct 9, 2011
What CPU do you have? Not all 775 boards support all 775 CPU's. Since it's GAteWay I assume it's Micro ATX? Is the motherboard BTX or ATX style? Also, what's your relative budget?

13atxbtxhc6.gif

jshoop

Honorable
Jun 25, 2013
i have a bunch of 775 motherboards i''m looking to part ways with, i think i have one from a gateway as well

EDIT: they all are mATX and all but 1 have 4 ram slots

CPU Fan

Honorable
Jan 7, 2014

It is the ATX style. Also the budget is pretty low considering its a very outdated standard and will (99% likely) be used.

jshoop - Are the ones you have compatible with an e4600 C2D? I prefer one with 4 slots. Also, are they setup like the ATX style in the pic that wadozer9 posted? Do any of yours have a PCI Expressx1 slot? I would really love for this to be a clean transition, but will sacrifice my ion graphics if need be. I know, it's unfortunate to lose such a beast of a card. lol.

Please post model #'s and pics if you don't mind. Also, asking prices. Thank you. :)

jshoop

Honorable
Jun 25, 2013
right now they all have q6600 Core 2 quads, so the duos will probably also work. if you want you can have the core 2 quad also, i have no use. i'll check the compatibility for the duos anyway though

they are atx style, and all have pci x1 slots. if you have a dual slot gpu one will be covered, but the other will be open.

i'll post some pictures in a few minutes once i take them.

for price negotiation i think mods like that to stay in the pm's.

jshoop

Honorable
Jun 25, 2013
Solution

wardozer9

Distinguished
Oct 9, 2011
I'd go for the GateWay mobo. It looks like it's made by Intel and they tend to make their boards a little sturdier than the ASUS boards that are stripped down retail models that sacrifice quality to meet the price requirements for OEM's.

If this had happened to you a week ago, I coulda sold you an MSI AM3 board with a quad-core Phenom for $25 shipped.

CPU Fan

Honorable
Jan 7, 2014

I prefer the Intel/Gateway motherboard. One question though. Maybe you or someone else could answer...The RAM I have is 533MHz. The spec sheet on the mobo says it supports 667/800MHz. Will mine work but just be limited to 533? Pm me your price on this one. Thanks.

Man, that would have been a great deal! I'm hoping for the older standard just so my old IDE DVD drive is still usable and there aren't any other compatibility problems. Yea the board in my gateway is an intel board too. I'm not sure if pad modding the old e4300 is what caused the RAM slots to fail or not, but it was fine until I tried a different mod from the one that brought it from 1.8 to 2.4.

jshoop

Honorable
Jun 25, 2013
the tough part about the gateway mobo is that the ide cable header is all the way at the bottom. youd need a long cable that might need to cover the gpu unless you snake it under.

for the ram, it should work fine. the speed can be slower than the motherboard is rated, but not faster (unless you overclock)

i've pad modded my processor and it bumped the q6600 from 2.4ghz to 3 ghz, which is pretty good to me. its been running on the gateway mobo since the day i tried it

WhiteSnake91

Distinguished
Hmm, I have a micro atx am2 mobo with athlon x2 6000 3ghz, and 4x1gb ram in it if you're interested. It would help fund an fx6300 secondary rig I've long been waiting to build. All I need for the fx6300 rig is the cpu,motherboard, and power supply.

Not sure if that would work with your front I/O though, those tend to be finicky on prebuilts. It does have IDE though, it's how the current DVD drive is hooked up, and appears to have a spare IDE slot too.

CPU Fan

Honorable
Jan 7, 2014

If the deal with jshoop doesn't work out, I'll let you know. thanks for the offer!

I might be interested in that RAM at the right price.