Weird memory issue - HP Pavillion15

Dory8

Reputable
Nov 30, 2014
Hello all,

I bought HP Pavillion15-n055sm. I installed win7. The thing is sometimes it would boot with 6GB of ram available and sometimes with 4GB. Bios and cpu-z detect all 6 every time but windows sometimes recognizes only 1 slot. What could be the issue here? I tried swapping sticks (4 and 2) and then it's the same issue only then it recognizes 4 or 2. I tested the memory with hp tools and it checked out fine. No errors. I also checked bios if there is an option on dedicating the memory but there is no such option. I can't figure out if this is a hardware or software issue and I'm running out of ideas how to test it. Please help! Thanks.

techelpr

Reputable
Dec 3, 2014
Sounds like the RAM slot on your motherboard is going out. However there are just too many things that could cause this to be sure. It could also be a driver issue, a program reserving the memory or even a BIOS malfunction. Not exactly sure...
Hope this helps.

Dory8

Reputable
Nov 30, 2014
How can I be sure it's a hardware issue? I did some tests and non of them showed anything strange..
Is there any chance there is a problem with win7 and ram because this model of Hp was officially made for win8?

techelpr

Reputable
Dec 3, 2014
No your operating system doesn't matter. It's most likely the motherboard. Assuming you have 4 DIMM slots, experiment putting your ram in different slots. It's possible that one of the slots is going out. If you can figure out which one, avoid using it. It's also possible the ram you have is incompatible with each other. If you have the money to spare, try getting matched memory. For example: 2x4GB chips.