Help Identifying Networking Patch Panel

sandropadin

Reputable
Nov 30, 2014
I rent a condo apartment with 3 ethernet jacks and one telephone jack. I found where all the cables meet, but I don't understand the cable configurations. To me it seems as if all the cables are configured the same, but I don't see why. 3 should lead to ethernet jacks and one to a telephone jack. I also don't understand why the brown/white and green/white cables and not connected. Anyone have an idea about this type of configuration?

8Mbelqq.jpg

BuddhaSkoota

Admirable

The jacks are configured for telephone service only, not Ethernet.

The cable connected to the left should be your incoming line. The other cables go to each of the 4 jacks.

Blue and blue white wires are for the primary telephone line, while orange/orange-white are for a secondary line.

As configured, you cannot use this for Ethernet. If you wanted to configure the inside lines for Ethernet, you would need to disconnect these wires, terminate the ends with RJ-45 plugs and place a network switch here.

Alternatively, you could enable one jack for your router and one for a PC by splicing two of the desired cables directly together, color for color.

sandropadin

Reputable
Nov 30, 2014
Thank you! That's exactly what I was thinking, minus the second line, I didn't consider that. I really just want to do what you mentioned, which is connect my router in the living room to my xbox in the farthest bedroom (wi-fi doesn't reach). I will identify the two ports and use 6 of the unused rows to connect them one by one. Are there any special tools I need to punch the wired into this panel? And what is this panel called?

Thank you again!

BuddhaSkoota

Admirable

The panel is referred to as a 66-block or a punchdown block.

A punchdown tool with a 66-type blade is needed to properly connect the wires to the unused rows.

You could also use Scotchlok connectors to splice the cable directly together if you wish.