New Laptop won't connect to home wifi - connects to wifi at a friends house though

jrobie79

Distinguished
Dec 5, 2010
I just bought a new Acer laptop and when I try to connect to my apartment wifi the connection lasts for about 60 seconds then the strength bars in the notification tray drop to 1 or 2 and I can't get onto any websites.

I do the repair/diagnose and all that and it doesn't help

I have run the ipconfig and I get the message "media disconnected"

this only happens at my apartment, I was at a buddies house and the worked fine (exact same router - Comcast Xfinity router)

I am currently typing this message via a mobile hotspot from my phone and it is working fine - my wifi is showing full strength in the wireless networks menu , however when I try to connect the strength drops to 1 bar and it goes back and forth between "internet access" and "no internet access"

any suggestions?

Acer Aspire - E1-572
6GB RAM
Windows 7 Home Premium

comcast supplied modem/router SMCD3GNV
currently have my old laptop connected, roomates laptop, roomates phone, and my phone connected to wifi

jrobie79

Distinguished
Dec 5, 2010
my old laptop connects just fine, full strength, its only 3 years old...it is literally the exact same router at my friends house, I upgraded to the new Xfinity cable/internet about 5 months ago, my friend upgraded like a month ago

I'll poke around the router config and see if I can get anywhere, just seems strange