Building a computer for a small business, need advice

Krayton

Honorable
Feb 18, 2013
Hello!

I am building a computer for my father's business, an auto repair garage. We need a couple computers for the front desk and they asked me to help. Currently they have an old Dell that is on it's last legs and can barely run the software (Mitchell 1).

So when they were talking about ordering another Dell I told them I could build a much better comp for the same price. However being that I am ordering for someone else I get nervous. I have built two of my own gaming rigs and the last one I built 4 or so years ago is still running fine.

I have put together 2 options for them:

First is the AMD option:
http://pcpartpicker.com/user/Krayton29/saved/8gNBD3

I have never used AMD and I hear currently they are behind in the CPU market, but this should be fine for what we need it for. Also the motherboard has on board video but I don't believe the processor does. Will this still output video? It doesn't need anything fancy, just running automotive software.

The second is the Intel option:
http://pcpartpicker.com/user/Krayton29/saved/y6f2FT

My concern is that I have never priced out parts for a "lower" budget rig and would like some opinions.advice about the quality of the parts I picked.

Also is this rig(s) better overall than a Dell for the same price range.

They complain about boot up time so I threw the SSD in there. I can actually go small on the SSD due to finding out the software they use takes up much less space than previously anticipated. However the software has a minimum of 4Gb of memory with 8Gb recommended.

If you need anymore information let me know!

Thank you!

An Intel build is a better way to go for an office type build. They are faster than a comparable AMD build (unless you overclock the AMD setup). The build below is plenty of power for what you are after. Maybe add a 1TB HD to compliment the SSD, but the i3 will easily handle your workload. Feel free to step up to the i5 4460 if you have extra budget burning a hole in your pocket.

PCPartPicker part list / Price breakdown by merchant

CPU: Intel Core i3-4150 3.5GHz Dual-Core Processor ($97.27 @ NCIX US)
Motherboard: ASRock H97M PRO4 Micro ATX LGA1150 Motherboard ($77.98 @ Newegg)
Memory: G.Skill Ripjaws X Series 8GB (2 x 4GB) DDR3-1600 Memory ($59.99 @ Newegg)
Storage: Crucial MX100 256GB 2.5" Solid State Drive ($109.99 @ Amazon)
Case: Antec Three Hundred ATX Mid Tower Case ($19.99 @ Newegg)
Power Supply: SeaSonic 300W 80+ Bronze Certified ATX Power Supply ($43.98 @ Newegg)
Optical Drive: LG GH24NSB0 DVD/CD Writer ($15.97 @ NCIX US)
Total: $425.17

Krayton

Honorable
Feb 18, 2013
Ok thanks. I went with the SSD alone because on their current comp they are only using about 40gb not including the OS. I will play around with that and see what I can do!