770 GTX with 2 monitors DVI + 1 HDTV via HDMI

giftigdegen

Honorable
Feb 5, 2014
I have a single 770 GTX, I'm using 2 monitors (only gaming on one). Is it possible for me to hook it up to my TV via HDMI and watch movies while I game? I tried this with my 570 but it would lose support for aero on windows and other such things, at first, then it wouldn't work at all (later). Anyone done this before or had issues trying it?

thanks

1N07

Distinguished
Feb 26, 2014
It should be fine. Depending on how demanding of a game you'll be playing and how high quality movie...
You'll probably be fine though.
If there's a big resolution difference there might be some problems, but those can usually be solved with some tinkering.

Also, if it whines about Aero you can safely disable it. It's just a visual improvement and doesn't really benefit you much. In fact it uses some VRAM that could be used for the movie and the game.
Windows starts whining about Aero when it detects you're using most of your VRAM, so you can free some.

I was still getting Aero pop up windows saying my desktop needed to switch to basic mode in certain games. I think I finally just disabled Aero. I also have a dual monitor setup with a GTX 770. I think I was seeing the pop-up error mostly while playing Rise of Nations or Heroes and Generals while attempting to watch LoL matches or streaming any video on my other monitor.

1N07

Distinguished
Feb 26, 2014

Different resolutions can be all kinds of a problem and depends a lot on the game.
Other games might force the secondary monitor to go off, while others will force it to letterbox mode, while yet others won't affect it at all. Oh and sometimes rarely there can be some problems with the game itself not working properly.

I'm using a 16:10 1680x1050 main monitor and 1280x1024 as secondary and I've seen it all. :p

I've had the dual monitor setup for a couple years now and have seen some stuff, nothing that outweighs the benefits of having two displays though. You become a pro at keeping something... anything open/minimized to be able to alt+tab out to fix anything that pops up which actually works most of the time.

I've also heard that playing your games in windowed mode reduces some of the quirks. I'm just not a fan of windowed mode and also willing to work with the little quirks when they render themselves.

1N07

Distinguished
Feb 26, 2014

All true, but borderless is a good choice. Basically fullscreen, but with the benefits of windowed

1N07

Distinguished
Feb 26, 2014

You must not play many modern games then. I've seen loads of games with borderless. in fact most of more modern ones have it.

TRENDING THREADS