Dual Monitor Setup Question

jcup

Honorable
Sep 1, 2013
Hello, I am going to be getting a new 144hz 24-inch monitor soon
http://www.amazon.com/dp/B00B2HH7G0/ref=wl_it_dp_o_pC_nS_ttl?_encoding=UTF8&colid=10DQQBWINEI30&coliid=I2XKV79KZ4BLBW
and I currently have a basic 21.5-inch monitor
http://www.amazon.com/Asus-VE228H-21-5-Inch-Integrated-Speakers/dp/B00413PHDM/ref=sr_1_15?s=electronics&ie=UTF8&qid=1417464234&sr=1-15&keywords=asus+monitor
I will be using the 144hz monitor as my main one but I don't really just want to put away this monitor I am using as it still works great I just want an upgrade. I have never used a dual monitor setup so my question is can I pari these two different monitors together and run them in a dual setup? The new 144hz monitor will be using display port and the old one will be using HDMI. Will it work like that? I don't want to game on both just have this one I am using now be an extension of my 144hz monitor like an extended desktop. Is this possible? Thank you.
Also, I noticed the monitor I am getting is 3D. I have no experience with 3D monitors so if you know how these work please let me know. Is it a function that can be used on anything including basic web-browsing/gaming?

jcup

Honorable
Sep 1, 2013

But when I play games it won't try to automatically use eyefinity will it? I will only use two monitors so not only would that be impractical but I also only have a 280X so it might not be powerful enough. I want to play on the 144hz and have the one I use now be an extension where I can have tabs and such but not extend my game. Will it work like that? Thank you for responding. I will be sure to select your answer as best after I get this last question answered.

freeskier93

Reputable
Dec 2, 2014
As said Eyefinity isn't automatic, you have to manually set it up. When you fire up a game it will stick to the main monitor. Your second monitor is also left usable/view-able which is nice.

jcup

Honorable
Sep 1, 2013

Have you ever used a 144hz monitor? I know that normal HDMI monitors are capped to only show 60fps but I'm just curious on let's say I get 90fps on a game, would I see a noticeable difference? I don't know what to expect because I've heard console professional gamers say they need a 144hz monitor and that there is a difference which makes no sense seeing that console games are almost always capped at 30/60fps

TheMentalist

Distinguished

I used dual-link DVI for mine. HDMI 1.2 is capped yes, you can use display port too.
Between 60fps and 90fps, it really depends on the person. Some people can't notice any difference between 60 and 60+, some can. I love to game on 75+, it's nice snappy then. But it also depends on what game you'll play, FPS games are noticeable. 3 person RPG's not so much.
One of the big reasons some people prefer 144fps, is because when the framerates will dip, it will stay in the 60+ zone. And when you aim for barely 60fps, the dips will be much more noticeable(30-40).
I've gamed on 60hz panels allot, it's pretty good. You'll be enjoy it.
Btw, don't trust 'professional gamers' in tech. They're backed allot by marketing, what they mostly say is just to promote stuff. Your own experiences and preferences will matter.