Does my GPU/system support BenQ xl2420z 144hz monitor?

Solution
It does not make sense if the monitor is 1080p. A single 970 or 980 will easily run any game at 1080p on a single monitor. If you are doing 1440p/4k/ or 3 way surround then yes you will need SLI to get good FPS.

SLI essentially splits the load of rendering a scene. A single frame is split in 2, one card rendering a 1/2, and the other card does the rest. It can also work by "alternating" frame rendering.

2 way SLI usually gives you good scaling, as in an almost 50% increase in performance, but after that you get some real diminishing returns.

Xyos

Distinguished
The SLI 970's will give you better performance compared to a single 980, and yes your system does support 144hz. It all depends on the game though. Many games are capped at 60 fps nowadays (making 144hz useless), but some do support over 60.

SloopsTheGreat

Reputable
Apr 21, 2014

Ok and can you explain to me how SLI works? I don't understand it. Does it make sense to run 2 GPUs for one monitor?

Xyos

Distinguished
It does not make sense if the monitor is 1080p. A single 970 or 980 will easily run any game at 1080p on a single monitor. If you are doing 1440p/4k/ or 3 way surround then yes you will need SLI to get good FPS.

SLI essentially splits the load of rendering a scene. A single frame is split in 2, one card rendering a 1/2, and the other card does the rest. It can also work by "alternating" frame rendering.

2 way SLI usually gives you good scaling, as in an almost 50% increase in performance, but after that you get some real diminishing returns.

Solution