I know it's overdone, but I need opinions on whether I should buy the EVGA or MSI 970

Nov 30, 2014
We all know EVGA has incomparable service and warranties, so they appeal to me the most because of that. I also like their minimalistic design; however, due to coil whine and heat issues, I'm hesitant.

The MSI has great reviews as well of course and people seem to be steering in that direction on the 970 models. I would actually prefer EVGA over MSI because everything I've read suggests that it's the most powerful 970 but the noise and heat is its biggest downfall.

I don't want a lot of noise so I'm leaning towards the MSI. Just wondering if the acx 2.0 has fixed the original problems with EVGA.

Thanks in advance.

Nov 30, 2014

I looked into it but narrowed it down to the EVGA and MSI because the gigabyte is a bit too large, in my opinion.

TheLucidVisionary

Reputable
Mar 31, 2014
I snagged the strix, acx 2.0 ssc, and msi gaming 970s the day they came out to benchmark them. I ran the heck out of them (before OCing) and the evga and msi could not separate by more than a HALF frame.

So to each his own. However.... DEFINITE coil whine from the EVGA. I was running it on my test bench so the noise was obviously more audible but it was annoying nonetheless.