windows 8 freezes at welcome screen, safe mode still works

didsum1saytacos

Reputable
May 4, 2014
hey, so i'll give you guys to full story if it helps
Yesterday i was installing a windows update overnight (automatic). after it finished, i turned my PC off and went to bed as usual. This morning i woke up and tried to turn my pc on. it didn't work. i went to school anyways and decided to wait until the afternoon to fix it. time came and i found the problem, my Mobo 24 Pin had gone loose. i plugged it in again and it booted. However, after it went past the windows logo with the spinning dots, my screen just cuts out to black. i'm only using one monitor and it says it's getting a signal, albeit it's just a black screen. My keyboard and mouse both stop working at this point. after a few tries, i got to the login screen once however upon trying to log in, my PC just freezes. This time around, i performed a recovery to an earlier save from a day ago. Now i can get to the login screen 50% of the time, the rest of the time it cuts to black with the same disabled keyboard and mouse. I've tried everything like detect problems, recovery, reset CMOS, etc. I have been trying for hours but i haven't found any solutions online. I finished this build 3 days ago on Saturday and this is the first time i've ever had the problem on any of my PCs. I can still get into safe mode and log in. IS there anything i can do to fix it without uninstalling all those 50GB games that i had to wait days to install?

patrickIT

Reputable
Nov 30, 2014
step1 ; run device manager and see if there are any errors.

step2 ; run sfc /scannow to check windows integrity.

step3 ; please run mdsched.exe to see if ram is the culprit.

step4 ; run cmd and then type chkdsk /r

step5 ; run cmd and then type verifier then from graphical user interface >>> Automatically select all drivers installed on this computer.

download this tool to analyze BSOD http://www.resplendence.com/downloads download free edition of whocrashed the output this program gives you should be enough to solve your problem. (use if verifier gives you a BSOD could be a driver.)

step6 ; Dism /Online /Clean-Image /RestoreHealth (make sure to space properly and use CAPITALS) or just copy paste text in command prompt

please answer to this topic I'm sure this issue will be resolved.

didsum1saytacos

Reputable
May 4, 2014

Well i tried to attempt your fixes but safe mode decided to die on me too. i'll keep trying but thanks for the help anyways

patrickIT

Reputable
Nov 30, 2014
boot with your windows installation disc, click on text left hand corner, repair your computer , then you will be able to do all this fixes as shown above.

didsum1saytacos

Reputable
May 4, 2014

i installed windows using an ISO file on a USB and i bought the code online. My h440 doesn't have any 5.25" bays anyways

patrickIT

Reputable
Nov 30, 2014
Do you still have that USB boot that one up and you can do the same thing. (we simply use recovery environment provided during installation, we will not install windows.)

didsum1saytacos

Reputable
May 4, 2014

oh ok i'll try that thanks. but just to confirm, i won't lose any of my programs and stuff right? because 200GB worth of games takes a long time to download with Australia's shitty ADSL2+

patrickIT

Reputable
Nov 30, 2014
This two should be run in command prompt (and then we boot into your OS again)

step3 ; please run mdsched.exe to see if ram is the culprit.

step4 ; run cmd and then type chkdsk /r

didsum1saytacos

Reputable
May 4, 2014
well everything didn't do anything except chkdsk /r which has been stuck on 15% for around 10 minutes and is probably frozen because the little dots stopped circling

didsum1saytacos

Reputable
May 4, 2014
turns out it was something to do with my wireless card as it worked after i unplugged it... after reinstalling windows lol. but ty anyways