Case depth and CPU cooler issue.

Markardi

Reputable
Nov 25, 2014
Hi,

I'm looking for a case that is no larger than 19.5" (495mm) in depth, but can support a good cooler for an i7 4790K.

From what I've read, it sounds like the 4790K runs pretty warm and people have had issues with coolers like the H80i. Is the H80i in fact fine? If so, then there's no issue and I'll find a single radiator solution.

Like I mentioned though, there seems to be enough people posting issues that I'm inclined to look at a double radiator (240mm) solution. The problem with that is very few cases are out there that are 19.5" in depth and support a 240mm rad.

Cases I'm looking at are:
Corsair Carbide Series SPEC-02 or SPEC-03 (Going to call my system Bane if I get the SPEC-03)
Antec GX500
Fractal ARC Midi R2 (though this one is 20.3")

The depth restriction is a result of my desk. There is a supporting wooden cross member that obstructs moving a case any further back and I don't want the case sticking out past the desk. Maybe I should just cut out a section of the desk!

Also, while some may suggest I look at an air cooler, I'm not a huge fan of their size and weight. I'm currently running a Noctua .... and while it does the job well, it was a pain to work around. These new NH-D15 look even bigger, heavier, and more in the way.

So, what can you recommend?

Thanks,
Mark

Markardi

Reputable
Nov 25, 2014
Picked up a Be Quiet Silent Base 800 that was exactly 19.5" deep.
It also supports up to a 280mm radiator though I may still look at an air cooler because they are quieter and more reliable.

Because of the height of the case, I did have to cut out a section of the desk for the IO panel, but it wasn't much.