1st custom build, help and advice much appreciated!

JasonC22

Honorable
Aug 8, 2013
Hi, I am building my first desktop pc and I am looking for some advice and help on the components that I have already/will buy for it and if they will all work together. The rig is mainly for gaming and 3D design. I do want my games to run in high/ultra graphics so I have tried to piece together the best components to match my budget and for the use. I am not an overclocker but I do love performance. I will list everything I already have and want below and I would appreciate any help/advice and pointers.

ALREADY HAVE:

- Zalman Z11 Plus PC Case
- 120GB HDD

WANT TO BUY:

- Intel Core i7 4770k CPU
- ASUS Z87 PRO Motherboard
- ASUS GTX 770 GPU
- ASUS DVD-RW - 24F1ST Disk Drive
- Corsair 8GB (2x4GB) DDR3 RAM
- Corsair RM750 PSU
- Samsung 840 PRO 256GB SSD
- Windows 7 Home Edition

This is everything at the moment. Roughly about £1000 altogether.

- Will all of this work?
- Does it all go together for performance? (for my purposes stated above)
- Do you know/think it will run my games in high/ultra settings?

Any help and advice will be much appreciated and I can't wait for your answers

haroldragaofficial

Reputable
Nov 12, 2014
Try getting a RAM that runs at 1866MHz. Also try getting a z97 motherboard that is SLI and Crossfire compatible. It's really scary when you're deciding on what parts you want on your PC build. You should watch Austin Evan's PC Gaming Myths in YouTube. And I will recommend getting an i5, but in your case, go for an i7, because you might end up working on video editing too. Overall, your build is good. And I'll recommend getting H100i for CPU cooling.

JasonC22

Honorable
Aug 8, 2013

So you say go for a z97 instead of a z87 PRO? is theremuch difference in performance. I will have to do a comparison on the two. Could you suggest a ram that runs at 1866mhz which is good at gaming and 3D Rendering?

Thankyou for your reply aswell ;)

haroldragaofficial

Reputable
Nov 12, 2014

First of all, the Z97 Express chipset officially supports the latest fifth generation Intel Core processors. Whereas Z87 Express offers support only up to the fourth generation chips. This means if you plan to upgrade to a ‘Broadwell’ chip in the future, you’ll need Z97 Express. If you’re planning on sticking with Haswell, then you could stick with Z87, but there’s only a small price premium to pay for Z97, so we would recommend opting for the latest chipset rather than trying to save money and go for a Z87 board with limited upgrade potential.