Is The Community Here DEAD?

tommyturner12

Reputable
Apr 30, 2014
Hey Toms. Usually, I come here for all of my questions and concerns for PC building. When I first came here, this place had the best community. Seriously, all of my questions were answered immediately and intelligently. There are so many great people here with much experience, and I've come to appreciate that. But now, I'm starting to doubt this communities "commitment".

Call my experience biased or whatever. Maybe it's just a coincidence for me that I post 4 threads and nobody bats an eye or answers them anymore. Are you kidding me, it's been a week since the last thread I posted and nobody answered, except 3 people. And from what I've seen, these people love to help those out who need answers. TechyInAZ, badboyrog2, and sammy sung, thank you for being considerate and helpful for answering my question, I appreciate it.

But seriously, where is the community that Tom's Hardware used to have? This place is a ghost yard. At least for me. How many times do I need go out of my way to another website to get an answer? It's not like this place provides that, obviously. I sent a PM to SR-71 Blackbird 4 days ago, and no response? I know he has more important things to do, and he has a family, but when I check his profile and see, "Last Contribution, 6 minutes ago", then I know I'm being ignored. Don't get me wrong, the man is a legend, but maybe he can consider answering the question? Just saying.

Oh, and don't get me started on the bias of this community. Literally, I want to punch the computer screen when I see, "Which brand is best", and all I get is, "ASUS is best", the question comes back as "Why?" and all I see is "Build quality, warranty, great customer service". Hmm, don't give a damn to link to actual reviews and comparisons about which brand actually supports this product best and then give me an answer that refers to the actual product instead of the company? Doesn't surprise me that their profile picture is of that brand and their whole bio is centered around it.

Sorry, but this is just my opinion. I feel more lonely and shunned here than I do at a cemetery. This place is slowly crumbling. But who cares, I for one couldn't care less anymore. I give this place credit for tech reviews, still #1, but if I have an answer to a question, you can find my ass at overclock.net. I've had more responses in a day there then a whole month here. LITERALLY.

Bye Tom's Hardware, you used to be the best. Unfortunately, all good things come to an end, and this is a prime example. A dead community on a great site. That's all it is. I used to use this site 24/7, that was until my profile password was lost. I'm on my own now.

Solution

I'm sorry you're leaving.

I suspect your problem might have more to do with the time of year you're posting though. This is around thanksgiving...
nobody answered, except 3 people

Three people... what's wrong with getting answers from 3 people? What more do you expect others to day? Especially when your thread contains almost no details.

I sent a PM to SR-71 Blackbird 4 days ago, and no response?
Us mods get snowed under with PMs, and have basically decided to ignore or not act on PMs asking for help with stuff unrelated to being a mod. Post a thread and stop trying to get preferential treatment.

I'm sorry you're leaving.

I suspect your problem might have more to do with the time of year you're posting though. This is around thanksgiving people are busy. It will get worse the closer you get to xmas and new years... then everyone will come flooding back.

As for the "asus" answer ~ that's more of a community answer... i'll explain why i suggest "asus" motherboards are the best, and you can see there is a great deal of prejudice in my answer (i suspect my reasons are similar to most people's reasons)

15 years ago, there was 1 single motherboard manufacturer supporting "overclocking" ~ and it was a company called Asus. Prior to "asus" support of the overclocking community you litterally had to physically jump switches on your motherboards, or SOLDER parts of your motherboard to make overclocking possible. Heck, even the first Asus boards that supported overclocking only supported it physically with physical switches saving you the need to use jumpers.

So Asus became the first, and when other motherboard manufacturers saw the business asus was doing and entered the arena, asus became another "first" when they started to offer high quality feature rich motherboards that you could overclock. They literally cornered the high end Do it yourself market, and HELD it for the better part of a decade, with little to no direct competition. As a result many old timers, like myself, don't seriously consider any other motherboard brand worth spending your cash on. In the last 15 years i've owned exactly 1 motherboard not made by asus (a gigabyte) and that experience drove me back to asus pretty quickly.

Now, i'm going to be honest with you. Currently there are plenty of motherboard manufacturers out there who make quality motherboards. There are LOTS of companies with better customer server (asus customer service is notoriously poor). And there are motherboard models that overclock just as good if not better then an asus board with certain chips. So asus is no longer the only game in town. In reality on Intel with the 70,80,90 series chipsets, you pretty much could grab an asrock, msi, gigabyte or asus motherboard and see little practical difference except for color and options in the bios for overclocking. On the AMD side you probably want to keep strictly to Asus and Gigabyte, as the rest of the motherboard makers tend to cheap out on Caps and vrms...

so there you go. I'm not paid by asus, but i am a FAN, and it's fandom earned by over a decade of quality products and community support. That doesn't mean there isn't other good options out there. that just means at least with me (and i suspect many others in the community) they've earned some serious street cred that other manufacturers just don't have yet.

Solution

tommyturner12

Reputable
Apr 30, 2014
Lol, I'm going to be honest, I'm editing this entire post just to thank ingtar33. Thank you, for showing some tolerance towards my childish behavior, and thank you for informing me about my ASUS complaint. You learn new things everyday, huh?

Alright, I apologize for coming on so strong. I'm aggravated and a little pushy right now, I can't give a good explanation of why, maybe it's because my sugar is high or whatever. I'm just a bit off balance, please, for people reading, take my complaint with a grain of salt. (I'm so confused that I don't know if that expression even made sense :p)

tommyturner12

Reputable
Apr 30, 2014
Thanks man ;) Honestly, there's no need for that, but still, thanks for being considerate :)

Look, I have one question for a build I am planning. I'll send you a PM, if you could help, that'd be amazing, as I can find that I can trust you.

Oh, and you earned yourself a best answer, thanks again!