MSI R9 270X Black Screens after Win7 Logo

Ricardo Pacheco

Reputable
Dec 3, 2014
Hello there.

About a week ago I upgraded my PC, buying several components and putting it to work. Here's the specs.

Main Board: M5A97 EVO R2.0
Bios Version: Latest
Video Card: MSI Radeon R9 270X TwinFrozr OC Edition 2Gb
CPU: AMD FX 8350 4.0Ggz BE SkAM3+
Memory: 8Gb Crucial Ballistix DDR3-1600Mhz
SSD/ HDD: Western Digital WD10EZRX-00A8LB0 1TB
CPU COOLER: The one that came with the CPU
Raid Card: Onboard
Sound Card: Onboard
Operating System: Win 7 SP 1 64

So, it worked just fine for about 3 days. Last Saturday night I tried to open Google Chrome after some gaming and the the system froze. I got a screen with vertical black and white stripes. I had to reboot the system and it gave me a black screen, crashing again, after the Win Logo at start up. At this time I was running either 14.7 or 14.9 ATI drivers.
I could only start the PC on Safe Mode. Removing the drivers and getting Windows general VGA card settings would allow me to use Windows in normal mode though. Once I installed the Graphic Card's drivers it crashed on reboot, always with the black screen after Win logo. I installed several ATI drivers, namelly 14.9, 14.11 beta, 13.12... and nothing worked.
I flashed the Mother Board BIOS to the latest version, formatted the HDD doing a fresh install of Win 7, installed Catalyst first and then the drivers, the drivers without catalyst, etc. and nothing worked, always getting a black sreen on reboot once the Graphic Card's drivers were installed. I even swapped the Graphic Card to a different slot to no avail.

Right now I'm using my old Radeon HD 5670 with the latest drivers and everything works just fine. It even works fine if I keep both Graphic Cards installed with the monitor plugged to the older card. I find this odd since to do so, Windows loads both cards drivers with no errors. But once I switch to the new card everything goes black.

Can someone help me out? I've tried to contact my vendor's technical support through mail but they're not answering. I fear that I'll have to report it as DOA and swap it out, which will take quite some time taking into consideration the way things tend to work around here.

PS - In the last days I tried lots of sollutions that I've found on this site and none of them worked. So, most of all I'm searching for new ideas on how to solve it.

Ricardo Pacheco

Reputable
Dec 3, 2014
I went there today. They're going to test it out and call me tomorrow. If they do find it to be faulty they'll swap it out for a new one. Since this model is out of stock I'll be able to get another one instead. Unsure about what to chose though.