Advice on buying a Wireless USB Hub and questions on External HDD

G

I am looking for a wireless media hub that I can plug in my external hard drive (and probably other devices), and then control it from my laptop which connects to the hub wirelessly. By controlling, I want to be able to read and write files, including playing music and videos directly from the hub.

I found some of them on Amazon. However, my external hard drive uses 2 usb ports, and the hubs have only one port.

1) Does anyone know a good wireless media hub that has several usb ports so that my external hdd works? I prefer something simple to use (no need to install any software). I also prefer wall-plugging comparing to battery or charger (it's great if the hub has both).

2) Does it matter if the hub has usb 3.0 or 2.0 because of the slower wireless speed than usb speed 2.0 and 3.0?

3) On my brother's laptop, my external hard drive only plugs into 1 port, and I can still use it. Why does it use 2 usb ports on my laptop?

Thank you very much.

I suggest you just get a router with USB storage capability, it will likely be an upgrade and won't cost that much more than a network media player with USB drive capability. ASUS RT-N56U got good marks for drive sharing speeds.

The reason your laptop needs both ends of the cable is that your USB ports put out less power, so need both to use the drive. I would use USB 3 for the drive if you can but USB 2 is fast enough to play HD movies from.

G

Thank you. My Internet router (capable of wireless connection) is at the living room. Do you know a wireless router that can connect to my Internet router wirelessly (similar to a wireless extension) and still have USB storage?

PS: I'm not sure if I have to post this question in the Wireless section of the forum.

There are many routers that can act as wireless extenders, but why not just replace the router you have with one that has the USB storage option? If you want to use a second router, it is much better to have them wired up with an ethernet cable than on wireless.

G

Your idea is good. Thank you very much.