1st build $1500 LAN box, ready to buy, check please?

whitew

Reputable
Dec 3, 2014
Hey all, first post here. I'm about to buy these parts and I wanted ask and see if everything works together. This is my first build. I've been researching for months now and that work has led me here to Tom's repeatedly where you folks are very helpful.

First off I just want to say how refreshing and comforting it is to see a community that gets along so well. I know, sappy, I just wanted to compliment everyone who helps keep the peace here.

For the build, do you see any glaring incompatibilities? Are any of these parts overkill or have a cost efficient equivalent? I am going for a quiet SFF LAN box, OC would be nice if it doesn't get too hot but I'd rather have it small than OC it. I'd like to game on max settings, things like Team Fortress 2, Titanfall, WoW, newer games, with some photoshop, maybe FL studio or play movies off it, and general pc stuff in mind, while staying as portable as possible.

Would 8gb RAM be enough to manage that? Or should I get 16? And do you think this setup would all fit in a Lian Li PC-TU200 case without overheating? I am willing to drill out vent holes on the bottom of case if I need to. I am open to suggestions (The case is the only thing I'm kinda stuck to, I love the handle). Thanks for your time!

Approximate Purchase Date: Within weeks.

Budget Range: $1000-$1500ish

System Usage from Most to Least Important: Gaming/Mild Workstation/HTPC (willing to omit)/General use

Preferred Website(s) for Parts: Newegg, No Fry's nearby :[

Overclocking: No/Maybe

SLI or Crossfire: No

Additional Comments: Going for powerful, low temp, small and portable.

leeb2013

Honorable
all good, but the GTX760 is a bit midrange. If needed you can get a cheaper mobo, cooler and case and get a GTX970 which would be aweseome, or R9-280x or preferably R9-290.

whitew

Reputable
Dec 3, 2014

Thank you! If I were to grab the R9-290 could I use the same mobo? And would this PSU support that?
What would be some good substitutes for the mobo and cooler otherwise?

leeb2013

Honorable
any mobo will suit any GPU, they're all the same interface.

mobo substitutes - as you're getting the k processor, which is overclockable, you want to stick to the Z mobo, ie. Z87, Z97, however these are available from around $100 eg. Asrock extreme 3.

Best cooler is Coolermaster evo 212, around $30-35.

You're right about the PSU, could really do with 600-650W ideally, but stick with branded, quality PSUs, preferably tier 1/2 in this link

http://www.tomshardware.com/forum/id-1804779/power-supply-unit-tier-list.html