Slight problem after getting a new monitor

Tayroo

Honorable
Jan 7, 2014
Hello there !
I recently upgraded from an old 19" monitor that I used a VGA to DVI to connect to my GTX 970

My new monitor works great , but when I turn on the PC , I see the windows loading screen and everything till windows it self loads , then it goes black and I must unplug my new monitor and plug it again , only then I see the desktop , with the icons scrambled a bit .

am using HDMI with the new monitor , could you guys help ?

Specs :
i5 - 4430
GTX970
H97
intel ssd
segate hdd
Viewsonic vx2770s

Am thinking of wiping my drives and fresh installing windows , but it's too much of a hassle :/ .

Solution

If your icons are being scrambled, this usually happens when the resolution is reset by the monitor (you disconnecting cable) and it then auto-selects the native resolution again (when you plug it in again) It happens to me when I update my Graphics drivers.

What resolution and frequency are you using on your monitor? 1080p @ 60hz? If it is set to anything else, it...

fatboyslimerr

Honorable
Aug 8, 2013
Its either a graphics card problem, driver problem, monitor problem or the cable itself.
Make sure you're running the latest Nvidia driver (betas are great too)
Check the connection between graphics card and the PCI-e 16x slot
Check monitor works on using another input (if possible, like satellite box or something)
Try another HDMI cable or try swapping the cable over

Is your GPU overclocked at all? Return it to stock if so.

Neur0nauT

Admirable
If you can reach the control panel for your Graphics Card, navigate to the display settings and try changing the scaling options. What do you mean by scrambled icons? A little bit more description would help diagnose the issue.

Tayroo

Honorable
Jan 7, 2014
Thanks for the replays guys , I downloaded the Viewsonic drivers from their website and am using latest Nvidia drivers
and by icons scrambled , I mean they are all over the desktop , and they arn't sorted

I am almost sure this is an issue from windows , since when I turn on the PC everything is fine untill windows loads - I see ASUS logo and windows loading- .

Neur0nauT

Admirable

If your icons are being scrambled, this usually happens when the resolution is reset by the monitor (you disconnecting cable) and it then auto-selects the native resolution again (when you plug it in again) It happens to me when I update my Graphics drivers.

What resolution and frequency are you using on your monitor? 1080p @ 60hz? If it is set to anything else, it might be out of frequency range, so it auto selects 1080p native when you reconnect it.

Solution