SWTOR Wanting Admin Rights

Raignis

Distinguished
Jan 23, 2009
My daughter plays SWTOR and when you click on the icon, you get a pop-up asking to run as administrator and asking for the password. It's done this forever and I've searched all over the SWTOR forums and it seems to be one of those things that they aren't ever going to address. It doesn't give the option to save the admin password so, I have to put it in everytime she plays.

Is there any way around this?

I uninstalled and reinstalled it into a c:\games\ directory. I've attached a picture of what it's giving me when I start the game. On my daughter's machine, this comes up and asks for the admin password. Hopefully this helps.
Capture_zps3e197555.jpg
[/URL][/img]

Vynavill

Honorable
I'm assuming the issue is that -Elevated launch argument. I'm also assuming that your daughter has a separate user account, while you have your own admin account.

Try installing the game in a folder her user can access, like C:\users\[daughter account name]\SWTOR

-- OR --

I'm assuming that's a shortcut. Right click it, select properties and remove the "-Elevated" argument. Launch it afterwards and see if it works.

-- OR --

Did this for a neighbor who was in a similar situation.

http://lifehacker.com/how-to-eliminate-uac-prompts-for-specific-applications-493128966

It allows you to disable UAC on a per-application basis, essentially adding a shortcut which will launch the game as an elevated user.
Steps are relatively easy to follow, even for "grandparents" ;)
If you're paranoid like I am, just follow the steps and do NOT install any extra software.

Raignis

Distinguished
Jan 23, 2009
I didn't see -Elevated anywhere in the shortcut properties

I tried the lifehacker link and when I use the icon made, a cmd window flashes saying "access denied".

I'm going to try installing it into a user folder later tonight.

Thanks for the response.

Vynavill

Honorable
The elevated argument removal was a hunch. Funny you don't see it tho...it would mean the main executable or something else is actually enforcing it, which is not a good thing IMO.

Weird is, instead, that you get an "access denied" message. The situation was literally identical (father wanting his daughter to play a game on her account without putting a password for UAC every time), and that solution worked...

Hope the other solution helps, but at this point I kinda doubt it.

Raignis

Distinguished
Jan 23, 2009
Yeah, it's actually the same game. EA/Bioware just won't address this from what I've seen and I've found dozens of posts about it on the SWTOR forums. Nothing has worked at this point.

Vynavill

Honorable
They won't address it because it solves a great deal of problems for the mass, not to mention some anti-cheat functions may use those rights to scan deeper and more thoroughly for cheating attempts.
To be completely blunt, your case is also a rare one, as many others just leave their accounts UAC-free for every member of their family (and don't take me wrong here, as FWIW you're doing the right thing).

I guess your only option at this point is to trust some 3rd party software which will encrypt your admin password and run specific applications with it. I don't like the solution, honestly, but since the above didn't work, I doubt that even fiddling with group policies will help; there is another way, but it's essentially the same thing of giving your daughter the password...

The only software that comes to mind is RunasSpc, and last time I looked it was free for personal use or something like 5$ per license for commercial use. I unfortunately never used it, so I can't help as much, but I believe there are plenty of tutorials out there.