New Gaming Rig Build Needed - $800 - 1000

Exdeus

Distinguished
Jul 29, 2012
Hello -

First, thank you for your time and assistance in advance. I am unfortunately out of touch anymore with the computer world as I have had an iMac for the last few years and just haven't kept up. It is a daunting task to try and get with it again.

Anyways, my second computer died last night and it isn't worth replacing so I am looking to build a new gaming PC to replace that and my iMac. I mainly play Eve Online, but would like it to be able to run any game currently out there and coming in the near future. I'd like to get back into WoW a bit, but also love FPS games and simulators (such as the new Battlefield game...is it 4?).

Approximate Purchase Date: In the next 30 days (around Christmas time)

Budget Range: $800 preferable, flexible up to $1000 (shipping included at 1000, otherwise shipping excluded)

System Usage from Most to Least Important: Gaming is primary use for system.

Are you buying a monitor: Yes, but not included in budget. Would love monitor suggestions.

Parts to Upgrade: N/A

Do you need to buy OS: No

Preferred Website(s) for Parts: Any/Cheapest

Parts Preferences: Not sure of difference between Intel/AMD anymore, so no.

Overclocking: No (not PC savvy enough anymore)

SLI or Crossfire: Would like to have best performance, so sure if it helps.

Your Monitor Resolution: Highest possible, sorry, unsure of exactly what my old resolution was as my PC blew.

Additional Comments:
I want it to be able to run at least 2 monitors (I will add a 3rd down the road but that can be upgraded later), run at least 2 clients of Eve Online at max settings, have a full size tower, and be clean. A perfect example is the look of this system:

In addition, I have no problem buying from ibuypower or cyberpower if you guys recommend that. It has been a long time since I have built a computer (probably 15 years). Also, applying thermal paste and burning in a CPU makes me nervous - I would prefer to buy a cpu/mobo combo if possible. If it isn't then that is fine, I will watch youtube before I do it :) I'd rather go with the best option regardless of what it is.

The price listed above DOES NOT include monitor price - tower and components only. I would love to keep it at the $800 price point, but can be flexible up to about $1000. Also, my wife has 2 cats so any side notes on how to keep cat hair OUT of the case would be great. Not sure if you can create a fan system only blowing air out?

I also have read about solid state drives...I have no idea what these do compared to a normal HD so help me out there.

Also, and I can add this down the road, but would probably like to have an additional HD that I can have externally to do nothing more than act as a ghost/backup in the event the system or primary HD dies. Again, I can add this later on, so don't include it, but I want to ensure I will have that capability when and if the time comes.

Also, is eyefinity worth it?

Lastly, the most important item for me is I don't want any obsolete technology on it. I want the mobo to last for a few years so that I can upgrade components and not have to buy a new pc in 2 or 3 years. I'd rather be able to upgrade the video cards, RAM, etc.

And Most Importantly, Why Are You Upgrading: My secondary PC died last night and I'd rather get a PC to upgrade than try and keep playing on my iMac.

Thank you again so much for your time and assistance!

Slavegamer

Distinguished
May 5, 2014
My issue with having a pc built is the shipping, they are not responsible if some guy who tosses boxes all day in the back of trucks ruins your computer.
It is a good option to go to a place where you can have it built and just pick it up yourself when they are done. There is a fry's electronics on your city. Go there and tell them what you posted here, get a gaming rig with the latest cpu , both modern amd 6 or 8 core and intel quad cores are good for gaming.
Most important is the gpu , Nvidia GTX 700 series or higher is what I prefer , Radeon r9 290 is also a good choice . If you go with a amd card , I think its best to get a radeon gpu for it, if its a intel cpu , go with nvidia gpu . You should be able to get a good high end motherboard, cpu, memory that is 1333mhz or 1600mhz , and power supply of 600 to 700watt for single gpu , 800 to 1000 watt for sli and crossfire. You dont need sli or crossfire as a single high end gpu will do fine . My advice would be to go to frys , they have good pc building experience and great support. I think you will spend about $800 in parts, and then another $100 to $150 for labor . Talk to there guys in the pc department and give them your budget , they will be helpful and you wont have to worry about what happens to a your computer , if you pick it up yourself make sure you lay it on its back, and not upright. Hitting potholes or any bumps in the roads can cause vibration damage to your pc .

aks_1337

Reputable
Aug 4, 2014
This is perfect for your budget (also included monitor and shipping costs):
Also allows for overclocking even though you mentioned you're not doing it now, it's there for the future.

PCPartPicker part list / Price breakdown by merchant

CPU: Intel Core i5-4690K 3.5GHz Quad-Core Processor ($208.99 @ NCIX US)
CPU Cooler: Cooler Master Hyper 212 EVO 82.9 CFM Sleeve Bearing CPU Cooler ($34.98 @ SuperBiiz)
Motherboard: ASRock Z97 Extreme3 ATX LGA1150 Motherboard ($104.99 @ Newegg)
Memory: G.Skill Ares Series 8GB (2 x 4GB) DDR3-1600 Memory ($54.99 @ Newegg)
Storage: Western Digital Caviar Blue 1TB 3.5" 7200RPM Internal Hard Drive ($52.89 @ OutletPC)
Video Card: Zotac GeForce GTX 970 4GB Video Card ($326.99 @ Directron)
Case: Azza SIRIUS ATX Mid Tower Case ($40.98 @ Newegg)
Power Supply: XFX XTR 550W 80+ Gold Certified Fully-Modular ATX Power Supply ($76.18 @ Newegg)
Optical Drive: Lite-On iHAS124-14 DVD/CD Writer ($9.75 @ Newegg)
Monitor: Asus VE247H 23.6" Monitor ($139.99 @ Micro Center)
Total: $1050.73
Prices include shipping, taxes, and discounts when available
Generated by PCPartPicker 2014-12-05 18:28 EST-0500

Slavegamer

Distinguished
May 5, 2014
Thats a good config , Take that list to frys , they are likely to have all those parts and will put it together.

Sry I did not answer your question about ssd's . They will provide much faster load times with software as the read and write
speeds of a ssd blow even high end hdd's out the water and then some . So you will have much faster windows startup, faster game loading
speeds. when it comes to things like fps in a game, they dont make a difference

Exdeus

Distinguished
Jul 29, 2012
Hey Folks -

I appreciate the responses! I will shop Fry's to see what they have available, but I honestly think I would rather build it myself simply for the sake of learning the PC over again and just for the sheer enjoyment of it.

I do have a couple questions:

aks_1337, you put a mid-size case instead of a full sized case. Is there a full sized case that you would recommend? Or is the picture I posted a mid-sized case? Secondly, why an i5 when the i7 is out? I see the i7-4790k 4.0GHz Quad-core processor for only 30 bucks more at micro-center? I have a micro-center only about an hour from me so would make the drive for components if they have best prices.

And lastly, is 8gb of RAM enough these days? What about cooling? Liquid cooling possible or are fans preferable?

aks_1337

Reputable
Aug 4, 2014

I chose a mid-tower just so you've got more places you can put the PC if you plan to re-decorate your home.
Full tower cases (more expensive) I'd recommend are:

Case: Phanteks Enthoo Pro ATX Full Tower Case ($113.98 @ Newegg)
Total: $113.98
Generated by PCPartPicker 2014-12-06 20:35 EST-0500

Case: Corsair 750D ATX Full Tower Case ($134.99 @ Amazon)
Total: $134.99
Generated by PCPartPicker 2014-12-06 20:36 EST-0500

Case: Fractal Design Arc XL ATX Full Tower Case ($129.99 @ NCIX US)
Total: $129.99
Generated by PCPartPicker 2014-12-06 20:36 EST-0500

Case: NZXT Phantom 530 (Black) ATX Full Tower Case ($119.99 @ Amazon)
Total: $119.99
Generated by PCPartPicker 2014-12-06 20:37 EST-0500

For gaming purposes only, i7's don't provide any or much benefit at all as they're more designed around the video editing, compiling, media types of users. If you can pick one up for that cheap then feel free, normally they're more expensive then what you've quoted.

I'd stick to Air cooling as AIO Liquid cooling is always prone to leaking (even if it's a small chance), I wouldn't want that to ruin my system. Plus there some air coolers such as the Noctua NH-D15 and Phanteks PH-TC14PE which can achieve cooling results which can give AIO Liquid cooling a run for it's money whilst being miles quieter.

Again, 8GB RAM is plenty for gaming currently.. If you want to do more with your PC whilst gaming then I'd recommend 16GB RAM otherwise 8 will do just fine.

Hope that helps!

Exdeus

Distinguished
Jul 29, 2012
Hello -

So I went to Fry's last night and purchased all of the below for about $1,050 and would like any feedback. I'm going to start assembling this tomorrow, and want to know if there is anything that I shouldn't use or would be wiser to get instead. For now, I'm going to re-use my cd-rom drive from my previous PC until I purchase a blu-ray as I didn't have the extra cash today.

• ■Thermaltake Urban T31 Midsize Tower
    ■Corsair CX750 Power Supply
    ■Asus Z97-AR Motherboard
    ■MSI GTX 970 Gaming 4G Graphics Card
    ■Western Digital 1TB 7200RPM 64MB/cache HDD
    ■Thermaltake NiC L31 Non-Interference CPU Cooler
    ■Patriot Viper 8GB (2x4GB DDR3 PC3-12800 1600MHz)
    ■Intel Core i5-4690k LGA1150

Also - before I open it, can anyone tell me if the MSI GTX 970 Gaming 4G supports multiple monitors? I'd like to run two at least, potentially three. I'd be fine running 2 monitors though so I could have 2 game clients open to dual box. It says it has:

Display Port
HDMI
DL-DVI-D
DL-DVI-I

Assuming two monitors, can it run two clients full screen or will I have to put them each into window mode on the respective monitor?

TRENDING THREADS