Multiple monitors: reduced per-monitor max resoution?

afx237

Reputable
Dec 6, 2014
I'm in the market for a quad head video card, mainly for general desktop usage. Gigabyte has a number of video cards that have four ports in the GeForce GT 740 and GTX 750 range, which have various combos of DisplayPort/HDMI/DVI/VGA ports, which all look suitable to my needs.

So I contacted Gigabyte sales support to confirm a few things, and their guy told me that if I use ANY of their video cards with multiple monitors, that each monitor can only have a maximum resolution of 1920x1080... not even 1920x1200. Even though the stated max-resolution on the cards are massive, like 4k... but apparently only if you only plug in one monitor? There is no indication of this multiple-monitor limitation anywhere in any of the marketing material or manuals that I can find.

I emailed him back again to confirm, and he restated the same thing: max res of 1920x1080 if you plug more than one monitor in.

Does this sound right? Maybe he misunderstood, or there's a language barrier or something?

Even my crappy 8400 GS cards I bought back in 2008 don't have this limitation, I've been able to run a couple of 1920x1200 monitors off a single card for the last six years with no problem.

Does anybody have one of these Gigabyte cards (or another brand that can support four monitors), and can confirm whether the support guy was right or not? It seems like a really crappy limitation, and if it's true, they should really state it somewhere to warn people.

I want to be able to run 4 monitors, and it must be on a single video card. I've got a couple of 1920x1200 monitors, and might get a 2650x1600 monitor too.

It's just for general desktop usage on Linux. I don't need any special features such as playing a game across multiple monitors or anything. I just run fullscreen stuff on the primary monitor.

Thanks.

Solution
While I don't have any experience on the topic,I haven't heard of any a 1080p restriction for multi monitor on any NVidia card. The guy could be talking about nv surround imposing a 1080p limit but that's unlikely as I've seen articles on 4k surround setups.

However with the entry lvl to mid range cards you may run into a problem with the ports. Many cheaper cards use a single DVI lane for DVI, HDMI and VGA. This means you may not be able to run 4 monitor on those cards regardless of the resolution.
While I don't have any experience on the topic,I haven't heard of any a 1080p restriction for multi monitor on any NVidia card. The guy could be talking about nv surround imposing a 1080p limit but that's unlikely as I've seen articles on 4k surround setups.

However with the entry lvl to mid range cards you may run into a problem with the ports. Many cheaper cards use a single DVI lane for DVI, HDMI and VGA. This means you may not be able to run 4 monitor on those cards regardless of the resolution.

Solution