Please Rate My Gaming PC Build

Mr Evasive

Honorable
Dec 6, 2014
Hey guys, I just wanted to get some opinions and suggestions if any on my very first Gaming PC build. I want to be absolutely sure of everything before I begin ordering all of the parts and whatnot. A big shout-out to Steel_Nugget by the way for configuring this build for me. Thanks everyone for any and all feedback that is given. It is much appreciated.

http://pcpartpicker.com/p/Hx82TW

random5

Distinguished
Fairly decent build, though I'd replace SSD with 128GB because main storage is on HDD anyway,so you wont need a large SSD, also wouldn't go with corsairs PSUs, its just corsair brand,they dont design,dont manufacture and hardly even see em actually,also change in from W8.1 to W7 and preferably non OEM version which is infamous for attaching itself to motherboard.. brutal.

Get W8.1. No reason at all to get 7. Don't let anyone tell you otherwise. Also, the issue with OEM vs. NON-OEM does not exist with Win8.1. Only 7. If you swap motherboards you simply call a number and the automated service verifies your version. No issue at all. This is another BIG selling point over W7.

I agree about the PSU. Swap it for an XFX550.

The smaller SSD is also a good call. I would do the same thing.

threebills11

Distinguished
Dec 7, 2014
Sounds pretty good ,I agree with random
5, you don't need that much storage on the ssd,since you're using the hdd for storage, you can prolly save bout 50 buks, also, I would change the chip to the 4790k,you'll have quad core w/hyper threading ( so really you'll have 8 cores) and also it runs faster at 4 ghz. It's on sale at microcenter for 250 atm, so that's 30 buks more to spend but you'll be saving the 50 from downgrading the ssd memory,so it will still be cheaper with better performance.just double check to make sure the 4790k is compatible with the board,first glance it looks like it

No, do not get an i7. It offers nothing over an i5 in games. That would be a terrible waste of money.

And no it does not have 8 cores. It has 4 cores. 90% of games do not support hyper threading so getting an i7 for gaming is pointless.

OP, get an i5.

Mr Evasive

Honorable
Dec 6, 2014
Thanks for all of the input so far guys. Would an i7 4790k be better than an i5 4690k for gaming and streaming though? If not then I'm gonna go ahead and just stick with the i5. As for the SSD, I picked the 250GB one because you get Far Cry 4 free along with it which ends up being quite a bit cheaper than if I choose a smaller sized SSD and buy the game separately. For my power supply, is 550W good enough? Or should I go with 650W? The Corsair PSU on my build is 600W.

threebills11

Distinguished
Dec 7, 2014
voices might be right,the 4790k being overpowered,i was just saying what i would do.for 30 dollars more you could have a chip that would be useful for gaming as well as outside it,and that chip is built to be overclocked,so not over clocking you would get better longevity out of it.after dropping 1100 bucks i dont see how 30 bucks is such a detriment ,but thats just my opinion

PleaseNo

Reputable
Dec 7, 2014

You cheeky pillow! Deleted my opinion about W8..

It added nothing to the discussion and was considered off-topic by myself and other mods. So it was deleted. Happens to people all the time.

If you want to APPROPRIATELY discuss window 8.1 and any issues you have using it, we have a Windows 8 section under the Software sub-forum.

Zerk2012

Titan
Ambassador
I would look at the GB Z97 UD3H BK motherboard from newegg the combo is like 43 bucks off. Very high quality board with a 5 year warranty.
Other than that nice build.
For a case the Corsair 450 D is a little pricey but very good.

Mr Evasive

Honorable
Dec 6, 2014
Wow, you guys are awesome. I really appreciate all of the feedback everyone has provided. :) Hey Zerk, would you recommend that motherboard over any other type/brand in the same price range? Also, love the case you recommended. Should I pull the trigger on it? For total cost, I'm looking at $1242 for my build if I do.

Zerk2012

Titan
Ambassador
With the discount on the motherboard it is the best quality you will get. All the highest quality parts I would recomend that board over any made period.
And yes the 450D is a excelant case with all the fans 3 X 140mm you need for cooling.

Mr Evasive

Honorable
Dec 6, 2014
Great, thanks a lot Zerk. :) Much appreciated friend. I only have but one last question. I really tried not to but did so regardless honestly lol but can anyone tell me if I went over the top with any component of my build. Could I have saved some money on a few parts that don't heavily impact performance. Now I'm contemplating on whether or not I should get a Noctua NH-D14 as my cpu cooler. Ugh, I seriously need to stop overthinking this whole thing lol.

jafrankl

Reputable
Dec 7, 2014

Everyone else seems to have handled most things... my suggestion is stick with Windows 8.1 (been using it for 1+ year and it runs everything great while using less RAM and ROM than Windows 7), get rid of the Caviar Blue for a Red (these drives are proven far better for long term storage and life length), and an i7 will allow you to run high intensity progams if you're looking into drafting, photo editing, film editing, or streaming. My current build uses an i7 for drafting and streaming to not slow down the gaming. Also, the 970 Gaming card from Gigabyte has slightly better specs (and reviews last I checked) for not too much more ~$30? Best of luck with the build and remember to not static shock your parts!

No, do not buy a WD Red. It is a server drive and it will be SLOW.

An i7 will not really give any improvement in streaming that you can actually feel over an i5. If OP is gaming, an i5 is the way to go.

It is also VERY hard to damage parts with static now a days. Almost impossible actually.

jafrankl

Reputable
Dec 7, 2014

7200 rpm is typical HDD speed... and if he's going from Caviar Blue to Red, there will be no noticeable difference except perhaps the drive's lifetime.

Also, a Mobo touched with static dies if not grounded. As do most CPUs. Given he's never constructed before, it's always worth warning and taking precautions.

No the RED drives are much slower. They use intellipower and spin down MUCH lower than normal drives when not reading/writing and take MUCH longer to spin back up than normal drives. They are for NAS systems, NOT Personal Computers. OP, do not get a WD red drive.

WAY more static that you think is needed to hard a motherboard. Sorry, but it is VERY hard to damage modern computer parts with static electricity.

Mr Evasive

Honorable
Dec 6, 2014
Mhm, so all in all should I just keep the build that I have already guys? Can I stop making any more changes lol? No Noctua NH-D14 instead of the Cooler Master Hyper 212 Evo? Should I have gone cheaper with some components? Should I get a better optical drive?