Best year for used Cadillac CTS

Dashrendar0226

Reputable
May 2, 2014
Hey guys,

I'm thinking about getting a used Cadillac CTS and I've been looking everywhere without answers. I was wondering what is the best year for Cadillac CTS in regards to durability and reliability. Since I'm gonna be spending a few $Ks on it, I'd rather not have to spend double the amount on repairs.

So, I guess my question(s) are the following:

1- What is the best model (year) for a used Cadillac CTS in regards to reliability?

2- What is the best bang-for-your-buck model for a Cadillac, with repairs, fuel etc. ?

Thanks guys!

wip99gt

Distinguished
Feb 23, 2008
I owned a 2006 cts. While I enjoyed the car quite a bit it wasn't that cheap to maintain. There were multiple electrical issues and the suspension was not that good. The leather was also thin and wore very quickly. If I was to get another one hands down go for 2010+. The second generation and newer are on a much better platform with a way better interior. Also get one with the 3.6 liter engine. The 2010+ model has the direct injected 3.6 which has better fuel economy and more power versus the 2008-10 3.6. I wouldn't touch a pre 2008 one at all. As a mechanic I would have no problem recommending a 2008+ cts to a friend for a reliable sporty sedan but would really try to push 2010+ if they could afford it.
When it comes to repairs the engine isn't that bad because it's a very common engine now but some of the electrical and suspension pieces will add up as they are cadillac specific. For instance on my old cts a simple connector for the tail lights was close to $100 while on my jeep its $10. I'd say their more expensive than a camry/accord type vehicle but a little less expensive than a bmw/audi/mercedes for maintenance.

Dashrendar0226

Reputable
May 2, 2014

That's great info, thanks alot ! I was looking for a 2008, since it's the cheapest model from the 2nd generation. Alright so no 2008, 2010+ if possible. 3.6L direct injected engine for fuel economy. Cool, thanks !

wip99gt

Distinguished
Feb 23, 2008
I rented a DTS once and was very unimpressed with it. The V8 is under powered and mated to a 4 speed transmission. If you want a good highway cruiser then sure it's alright but and older audi and bmw will serve you better while being nearly as reliable. Now if you want driving enjoyment then the CTS is the only caddy to buy. So pretty much my feeling is unless you plan on driving from a retirement home to a buffet 4+ days a week then skip the DTS and buy a CTS. Your manhood/womanhood will thank you.

Dashrendar0226

Reputable
May 2, 2014

Thanks, this is the general feeling I get from what I read elsewhere