AMD Catalyst/Driver Install: Drivers seem up to date, but install still says failed.

Gregory Weldon

Reputable
Dec 9, 2014
So I've been searching the web and these forums in particular, and I can't seem to find a solution to my specific problem.

I recently updated to Windows 8.1 64-bit, and I reinstalled the GPU drivers for my card. It stops and says there were errors and when I check the log, it says "Driver Install: installation failed." The weird thing is that Catalyst Control Center opens up just fine, and the drivers are currently up to date (14.501). So it seems like everything is fine. I just want to make sure that nothing is going to be messed up when I go to actually play games, because I haven't had the opportunity to do so yet, except for Risk of Rain while everything else downloaded because my internet is being screwy at the moment :(

Here's my setup, for those interested:

i7 4770k @3.5 Ghz
16 GB Memory
4 GB Radeon R9 290
Windows 8.1 64-bit

Gregory Weldon

Reputable
Dec 9, 2014
So, I looked further into the issue once I got home from work. I uninstalled the Catalyst software fully, restarted, then proceeded to install the latest drivers. It went the through the whole process and said there were errors. What I didn't take notice to the first few times was exactly which part failed. Everything except the HDMI audio installed perfectly. So, issue solved, effectively.

If I can find exactly which playback device of the several listed is the correct HDMI audio device, I'll try to install it from there, but I also don't even know if I'm utilizing HDMI audio at all. I've just got a pair of Klipsch THX speakers plugged into the back.