GPU upgrade (from amd 7770) for Phenom IIx4 worthwhile?

Jarmo

Distinguished
Jan 28, 2009
So I was going to upgrade the whole system about now, but amd has really dropped the ball on CPU front and I'm not choosing Intel just yet, for stupid religious reasons but that's not the point. No sides on the AMD vs nVidia thingy.

So I'm thinking maybe I'll get some extra mileage from this system yet, it's basically just fine, only just below the minimum for the new Dragon Age, which is a point. Also World of Tanks, but that runs fine even now (higher settings wouldn't hurt though).

Phenom 2 x4 @ 3Ghz
8GB's RAM.
Amd HD 7770

I'd rather it stay somewhat silent, which is why I sidegraded the GPU from ATI 4870.
Not sure how much the power supply can handle either, it worked with the 4870 anyway.

Jarmo

Distinguished
Jan 28, 2009

Seems like a solid bet. Although, seems like the card came out about a year ago. Any idea when new cards would be coming out? I'm not in a blazing hurry, but not going to wait 6 months or like that.

baniDJ

Honorable
Dec 31, 2013
Go for R9 270 :) I play BF4 max settings locked 60 fps , only in siege of shangai the FPS drops in 47 avg. Also I play with 4 GB rams :)

Jarmo

Distinguished
Jan 28, 2009
Thanks.
I considered waiting for the 960, but then just went and bought a 270 instead.
Easy install and gives a good 50% increase in frame rates (only tested Heaven), which is what I wanted.

(I'd mark an answer but don't seem to know how)

clutchc

Titan
Ambassador

There's suppose to be "best answer" links below replies. But I don't see any now. Tom's Hdwr's servers are probably screwed up again. It'll probably correct itself eventually.