295x2 monitor issues/only showing games in 640x480

MrSoups

Reputable
Dec 10, 2014
Hello everyone, I have recently installed a 295x2. Before installing I removed my old drivers and did a clean wipe. Unfortunately now I have been having issues with my display. My pc will boot up into bios and then the windows logo. Right after the windows logo the signal stops and my monitor goes black. I can hear my windows sounds and even with screen blank, i can type my password and I hear log into windows, but no display. If I jiggle the monitor around it will turn on and I am able to see everything. When I try to play any game, such as bf4, dragon age II or inquisition, my screen goes blank again. I do the same thing, jingle the monitor around and it turns back on. However, my only screen resolution option is 640x480, it will not let me go any higher.

Rig setup:

CPU-3930K
GPU 295x2 with latest drivers
16 gigs ddr3 1600 corsair vengence ram
biostar Tpower x79
Two 500 gig raptor hard drives
antec 1200 quattro power supply
monitor is an asus vw246

Solution
I don't think your RAM has anything to do with this. And there's an easy way to verify that. You can run Memtest 86+ for several hours and see if the test reports any errors.

Back to your main issue. As I understand it, your PSU has SIX rails, each capable of a maximum of 38 amps. I would suggest using another rail for the auxiliary power connector to the 295X2 (Switching the 8-pin plug to another connector on the PSU). The power requirement for the 295X2 is 28A on each of the 8-pin connectors. You might just be using a rail that is already loaded by other devices such as the motherboard and CPU.

MrSoups

Reputable
Dec 10, 2014
I went ahead and switched monitors per your suggestion. It worked, at least partially. When I connected the new monitor, the resolution and ratios seems to have corrected themselves. I was able to get into bf4, dragon inquisition, dragon age II, etc and was able to set a different aspect ratio. Also the games seem to run just fine, no fps issues. After about 20 minutes the monitor that I had switched started doing the same thing with display problems so unplugged it and plugged it back in and it corrected itself again. Could the main problem be a bad connection? Maybe my hdmi cable or is it possible the graphics card is not secured enough in the motherboard?

MrSoups

Reputable
Dec 10, 2014
Hmm the problem seems to have returned even with the new monitor. Does anyone have any other suggestions? Could it be my ram, or possinly my motherboard that is the issue. I did notice before the new monitor I used started doing the same things the previous one did, that some of the games I ran did not run as well as I thought they would in terms of fps. I also tried making my ram run at 1600 instead of 1333. The System did not like that at all. I would see the windows logo again and then the monitor would shut off. Could it be a psu issue?, or even my ram?

youssef 2010

Distinguished
Jan 1, 2009
I don't think your RAM has anything to do with this. And there's an easy way to verify that. You can run Memtest 86+ for several hours and see if the test reports any errors.

Back to your main issue. As I understand it, your PSU has SIX rails, each capable of a maximum of 38 amps. I would suggest using another rail for the auxiliary power connector to the 295X2 (Switching the 8-pin plug to another connector on the PSU). The power requirement for the 295X2 is 28A on each of the 8-pin connectors. You might just be using a rail that is already loaded by other devices such as the motherboard and CPU.

Solution