Black Screen With Flickering Mouse After Updating Windows 8.1

Ushingburg

Honorable
Mar 31, 2013
Ok guys I know you're all probably sick of this issue as I've found so many threads, but none of them seemed to help me here.

Here's the issue: Earlier today my PC was working perfectly fine on windows 8.1. I noticed after waking it up from sleep that it was going to install updates, so I thought I might as well install them now. Let it update and restart, all fine, but when it came to the log on screen I was instead presented with a black screen with a cursor that only appears and flickers when I move the mouse before resetting back to the centre of the screen. Occasionally the language setting and the Ease of Access tools flicker for about a frame (that being 1/144 second with my monitor) and I noticed the keyboard resets num lock constantly as well. The PC posts fine, it shows the loading windows stuff fine, it's only when it should present me with the lock screen when the issue begins. I've spent my afternoon trying to figure this out and I've made no progress.

Here's what I've tried: I tried restarting (obviously), but that didn't work. None of the keyboard stuff like Ctrl-alt-delete worked or anything. I then read that it relates to graphics driver issues, and that booting into safe mode will allow me to fix the issue. I created a recovery USB, and everything was fine as I used it to get into safe mode. But safe mode had the same issues - flickering cursor whenever I moved the mouse with an otherwise black screen. Only difference was that 'safe mode' flickered in all four corners of the screen when I was moving my mouse. This was the same in the reduced resolution mode or whatever it's called (sorry guys I'm tired). Since none of this worked, I decided to try swapping graphics cards. I use a nVidia GTX 770 (the Titan cooler one, no other brand), so I decided to remove it from my PC and use my motherboard/3770K's onboard graphics. No luck, same problems. I then installed my brother's AMD/ASUS R9 270, didn't help either, same problems. Currently I have my 770 reinstalled with no luck. I tried connecting my monitor through the normal dual link DVI cable and also through a HDMI cable. Oh and I also tried troubleshooting through the recovery USB that I booted from but with no success.

I'm lost as to what to do next or even to what is causing the problem, so any help is appreciated even if it's just a link to a post I may not have seen. I haven't tried resetting BIOS or anything, I'll try tomorrow. Here are my full PC specs:
Intel core i7 3770K (4.4ghz)
ASUS Sabertooth Z77
Corsair Vengeance 16GB (2x8) 1600mhz RAM
NVidia GeForce GTX 770
2x 1TB 7200rpm drives (storage)
Corsair Neutron GTX 240GB (OS)
Corsair HX750 PSU
Windows 8.1 (Would be the standard edition)

patrickIT

Reputable
Nov 30, 2014
I think a system restore would be the easiest to solve your problem. But I assume you have already tried that.

insert windows installation disc click on "repair my computer"
---> system restore
---> or run command prompt and type; notepad --> open now you can copy files to external drive. or use Linux live to access your files.

It's also possible to perform offline sfc /scannow
command prompt type;
sfc /scannow /offbootdir=f:\ /offwindir=f:\windows

note# Use your drive letter for windows for both offbootdir and offwindir .

Ushingburg

Honorable
Mar 31, 2013

Ah, I knew there was something like this I was forgetting... Thanks mate, it was as simple as booting through my recovery USB and performing a system restore.