No Signal to monitor with New MSI Radeon R7 260x installed

usafbrownp

Reputable
Dec 2, 2014
Hi everyone,

About a week ago I bought a new graphics card for my pre-built computer. When I installed it I would get no signal to my monitor. The computer turned on and all fans and lights were running but the fans did not spin up as normal (might be that the new card fans don't spin up as loud in the beginning). The computer still works with the old card Radeon HD 7770. I have trouble shot this extensively and I think I'm running out of internet for answers. I have seen a trend on forums about HP and the UEFI secure boot not working well together with certain cards but that's with Windows 8. I have Windows 7 ultimate and in my Bios there is a boot order with UEFI in it but I don't thinks it's actually using it. Can anyone please help me figure this out? Specs and things I've troubleshot below...

http://h10025.www1.hp.com/ewfrf/wc/document?cc=us&lc=en&docname=c03332085#N1409

Mobo: M3970AM-hp (Angelica)
CPU: AMD FX 8150 8 core 3.6 Ghz
10 GB DDR3
Does not come with integrated graphics on mobo
PSU: 600W

- Reset GPU and plugged into 6 pin no other pins required
- Reset Ram
- Let it run for about 40 minutes to allow mobo to process (nothing)
- Installed old gpu and disabled graphics adapter drivers in safe mode then reboot and reinstalled new gpu
- Pretty sure i have the most recent bios verion Ang 7.16
- I have HDMI hooked up from monitor to gpu, also tried VGI

That's all I can remember right now but I didn't do quite a few things. Also I had no one to test if the GPU was bricked so I returned it and a new r7 will be in the mail soon and I can troubleshoot some more with you all. Please post anything you would like me to try or info that you need and i will try my best to answer. Thanks again.

jafrankl

Reputable
Dec 7, 2014
Watch the card as the PC turns on. If there's any motion in the fans, it may be a power supply or mobo issue. If the fans do nothing, it's DOA. Also, make sure your drivers are up to date for the new card and bios as well.

usafbrownp

Reputable
Dec 2, 2014

My power supply should be fine for this card-600W. The fans are running on startup. If it were a mobo issue would it work with the other card?

jafrankl

Reputable
Dec 7, 2014
If this is a mobo issue, there could be lots of problems causing this. How many PCI-e slots does the mobo have? If more than one 2.0/3.0 x16 slot, did you try a different one to see if the card worked? Also, if VGA isn't displaying anything, sounds like a DOA card to me.

usafbrownp

Reputable
Dec 2, 2014

It just has 1 PCI-e slot. VGA didn't display anything so hopefully it was a DOA card. My new card should be here soon so we shall see. If it doesn't work, then more troubleshooting for me! YAY!

usafbrownp

Reputable
Dec 2, 2014
Well, just got the new card in tonight and....same problem!! This is getting frustrating..please help! I tried disabling UEFI boot with no success. I have tried so many things outside of buying a new hardware like a PSU or MOBO. My HD 7770 card "works" but i can't load drivers to it without it crashing. (This was tested on another computer so it is bad)