Crappy OC on a GTX 970 G1, am I this unlucky with my card?

Nantes

Distinguished
Jan 4, 2012
Hi guys. I got a new Gigabyte GTX 970 G1 Gaming, which supposedly goes through the Gauntlet binning process which "only the strongest processors" pass and should "satisfy extreme overclocker's expectations" as per the box.

Problem is, from my research in various threads I see people getting +150 core and +500 VRAM offsets in MSI Afterburner, even with the non-G1 card version. Meanwhile, the best parameters I could get which didn't generate any noticeable artifacts in stress testing with MSI Kombustor, nor crash the Nvidia driver after a while, are as follows. I haven't played actual games yet to see if the overclock doesn't crash the drivers on them, so even the overclock below might still be unstable.

Screenshot_2.jpg

Screenshot_1.jpg

As soon as I increase either value by +10 I get evident artifacts on Kombustor. Not even increasing voltage by +25 or +40 helps with avoiding the artifacts (in fact the +40 value seemed to increase their frequency), so I just disabled that option.

I'm satisfied with +130 core, but getting only half of the VRAM overclock other people are getting even on non-Gauntlet cards, when my card is supposed to be the cream of the crop, seems very odd. Is my card ****ed up? Are the Gigabyte guys big fat liars and they don't bin ****?

Thanks!

Edit: Since then, using Heaven to simulate a demanding game and leaving it running overnight with various parameters, I have determined that the best OC which doesn't artifact or crash Nvidia drivers (a.k.a stable) is actually +120/+275, or 1500 MHz core and 7500 MHz RAM.

Ellis_D

Reputable
Jul 20, 2014
Yeah, a lot of that is marketing hype and when they say "best overclocker" what they really mean is that it has the highest factory-overclock they're willing to sell and it may or may not have overclocking headroom.

But still, 1500mhz core is still pretty beastly. Honestly, I'd take your 1500mhz core and 7500mhz RAM over my 1417mhz core and 8212mhz RAM any day since that RAM overclock only get's me maybe a 5% performance boost at most.

...sorry, miscalculated my RAM speed.