New to building computers.Thoughts on my first pc Build? Be critical if need be.

FlseProphecy16

Reputable
Dec 11, 2014
Intel Core i5-4690K 3.5GHz Quad-Core Processor

Cooler Master Hyper 212 EVO 82.9 CFM Sleeve Bearing CPU Cooler

Arctic Silver 5 High-Density Polysynthetic Silver 3.5g Thermal Paste

Asus Z97-A ATX LGA1150 Motherboard

G.Skill Ripjaws X Series 8GB (2 x 4GB) DDR3-1333 Memory

Western Digital Caviar Blue 1TB 3.5" 7200RPM Internal Hard Drive

MSI GeForce GTX 970 4GB Twin Frozr V Video Card

Rosewill BLACKHAWK-ULTRA ATX Full Tower Case

EVGA 750W 80+ Gold Certified Fully-Modular ATX Power Supply

Asus VG248QE 144Hz 24.0" Monitor

Corsair Air Series SP120 High Performance Edition (2-Pack) 62.7 CFM 120mm Fans

Total:$1442

Anything I should add or subtract?

ferwindjacks

Honorable
Jun 26, 2013
Super critical post:

-You put together a build, ask for thoughts and possible part switches, and don't even put a ballpark cost? How dare you.

-I am offended by your choice of the WD HDD. What a terrible decision #SeagateMasterRace

-Lets keep the build uniform, and go with an Asus 970. The EVGA variant also compliments Asus. If you want to know specific differences, feel free to ask.

-EVGA PSUs are good, but I would personally take XFX over anything else.

-Nice choice of monitor, pretty sure you can mod that with G-Sync if you so choose.

Any questions? Just ask.

Lmao @ ferwindjacks post.. Seriously, looks like a good solid build to me. No major issues or weak parts. I tend to like the wd black or wd re4 hdd's a bit better than the blue since they have longer warranties and are built for 24/7 use which better suits my pc role but honestly - nothing that screams help. I think you should be quite happy with that build.

The only thing I'm not positive of is any clearance issue with the ripjaws ram (heatspreader height) and interference with the hyper 212 evo if there is any. Some ram have ridiculously tall showy heatspreaders that have a tendency to get in the way of tower style cpu coolers. I'm surprised motherboard manufacturers haven't accounted for that and given just a tad more room between the first ram slot and cpu socket.

ferwindjacks

Honorable
Jun 26, 2013
You think that was a joke? This ain't no joke, bub. ;)

Take any post on this website with a grain of salt, whether its personal opinions or paid-off mods (may or may not be a joke?), you're going to get different tastes in manufacturers. I just prefer Seagate for my HDDs, that's all.

Even though I have never personally worked with it, I hear the Evo is a pain in the you-know-what to install. Not sure about RAM clearance on that thing, but I know my Corsair Vengeance ram works just fine paired with the Noctua NH-U14S (great cooler-but expensive).

I as well am also surprised mobo manufacturers haven't realized modern CPU coolers are just plain BIG. I mean, I got a bud who bought the Noctua D-14 on sale and he had to remove a stick of RAM to fit the thing! Needless to say, he got rid of it soon after and bought the U14S.

Seriously though, rethink that MSI card.

FlseProphecy16

Reputable
Dec 11, 2014
What is wrong with the MSI card? And would you recommend the Noctua NH-D14 or 15 as opposed to the Evo for easier installation? Will my motherboard fit it? Ill find smaller RAM. I also looked at your cooler and it looks pretty good as well. Ill also look into some seagate hard drives.

ferwindjacks

Honorable
Jun 26, 2013
Nothing is "wrong" with the MSI card, but they have a history of poor QC and customer service, so I'd rather not deal with them. Gigabyte is the same way, not to mention they speak (and write their manuals) in broken English.

The Asus 970, while being one of the slowest clocked cards, prides itself on staying cool while keeping quiet, and has a low power draw compared to other cards (it has a single 8pin connector compared to other cards with 1 8pin and 1 6pin, and a couple other configs). This lower power draw is nice because, well, it draws the least amount of power from your PSU, but it doesn't overclock as well as other cards that draw more power.

The EVGA card is one of the fastest, has 1 8pin and 1 6pin connector, overclocks very well, and the cooling is superb. Granted, the G1 Gaming version is the fastest of the 970s (fastest base clock) and has 3 fans, but the EVGA can be easily overclocked to beat that and then some, and even has very comparable temps (2 fans on EVGA v 3 on Gigabyte).

The Noctuas are pretty simple to install. Like I said, I've never worked with the Evo but I heard it is hard to work with. The D14 is humongous, and for the difference in cooling, I'd rather take the U14S (smaller than the D14) rather than take my chances.