Is this normal for a fast response time monitor?

Barls

Reputable
Oct 2, 2014
So I just recently bought a 1ms monitor and it's my first one I've ever owned. I've noticed that when I scroll up or down on a page with a lot of words, theres a trail of the word in white. Is this normal, or is there something wrong with my screen?

Solution
Try adjusting your "AMA" value in the monitor settings menu, try 'off' and 'performance' see if one of those helps.
Changing AMA to "off" has helped other users with your monitor to eliminate ghosting, hope this helps!

Game on.

BrandonYoung

Reputable
Oct 13, 2014
That doesn't happen on my Asus VE278Q's. What kinda monitor do you have? If its similar to my screens, there is a option in the monitor menu that allows you do adjust "Trace Free" if its set too high/low it really makes things look weird. I use Trace Free of 40 (0-100).

Barls

Reputable
Oct 2, 2014

I have a benq RL2455HM. I don't see a Trace Free setting.. I'm noticing the ghosting in games too.. is there something wrong with my monitor or is there a setting i should try to change?

Barls

Reputable
Oct 2, 2014

I notice it in games now too.. I play csgo, and when i attack with my knife it shows an outline of my knife after.

bishopi5

Distinguished
That is screen tearing, It happens when the refresh rate or fps or the game you're playing does not match the HZ of the monitor you're playing, I assume everything is still in 60hz mode whilst you upgraded to 120+hz monitor? this would cause massive tearing

Its not a 120hz monitor, so i have no idea why this would be happening, its a nice monitor, It seems its built more for console gaming?

Barls

Reputable
Oct 2, 2014

Yeah I'm actually upgrading to 120hz or 144hz in a month or two and giving him my 60hz for his bday. Any idea what's causing the screen tearing?

BrandonYoung

Reputable
Oct 13, 2014
Screen tearing happens when the videobuffer is updated during a screen draw. Screens refresh pixel by pixel from left to right, top to bottom. Tearing occours when the upper portion of the screen shows one fully rendered screen, while the bottom portion displays the next rendered screen. this is most obvious in horizontal movement, and not what I think your problem is. To verify, turn on vsync in the game or force vsync in your graphics driver settings. This will synchronize your FPS to some multiple of your refresh rate so your rendered frames are in sync with the monitors refresh rate, preventing you from seeing the top of one rendered frame, and the bottom of the next rendered frame.

BrandonYoung

Reputable
Oct 13, 2014
Try adjusting your "AMA" value in the monitor settings menu, try 'off' and 'performance' see if one of those helps.
Changing AMA to "off" has helped other users with your monitor to eliminate ghosting, hope this helps!

Game on.

Solution

Barls

Reputable
Oct 2, 2014

Nice this did it thank you. What does AMA do anyway? Am I losing out on something by having this off?

Barls

Reputable
Oct 2, 2014

K cool thanks for the info!