Asus Z97-A in new build - dead DIMM slots? RMA?

VirusSixZero

Reputable
Dec 12, 2014
Building my first gaming PC. I have the mobo installed to POST, and I've hit a snag related to DIMM slots and RAM.

Mobo is Asus Z97-A with i7-4790k installed and Corsair HX750 plugged in.
- GPU is not (and has never) attached yet. Using 2 sticks of 8GB Trident X 2400Mhz RAM

In the mobo configuration of A1/A2 B1/B2 I can only get the A slots to register anything when I POST. The correct model and size shows up, no problems. They're running at a lower MHz (1600 or lower I believe), but I understand that's common before you tinker with the BIOS.

The issue is if I use one of the B slots (at all) it fails to boot. I can have one stick in either A slot, but B never works, and if I have the recommended A2/B2 formation it fails to boot. The power will come on for about 1s and shut off repeatedly. I've tested both sticks in all the slots, and B never works. What's puzzling is that using the B slots at all makes the whole system fail to boot, it doesn't just boot with the 8GB it detects solo in A2.

*An aftermarket CPU cooler blocks slot A1, but I removed the fan and tested it. A1/A2 detects a full 16GB

I've POSTed the system and flashed the latest BIOS, but I have not moved past this stage because I don't want to use a mobo if half the DIMM slots are dead, and I can't use the memory configuration that fits with my CPU fan. I've cleared CMOS, but have not run Memtest86 on either DIMM because they work fine in A1/A2 solo and together, or at least they're detected. Hitting the "Mem OK!" button runs the tests, then returns to the start & stall pattern. In the start & stall pattern it never makes it past the red LED for Mem OK!

I *really* don't want to RMA this mobo because it took long enough for all the components to get here in the first place. Anything else I can try or maybe overlooked?

**Update**
As per suggestion, reseating the CPU made the missing contact work. All 4 DIMM slots detect RAM appropriately.

VirusSixZero

Reputable
Dec 12, 2014

I unenthusiastically reseated the CPU, managed to avoid getting thermal paste on my hands, and reattached the CPU cooler.

All DIMM slots read memory now! Thanks for the suggestion, you saved me an (apparently) unnecessary RMA!