Can't figure out if this is a monitor issue or hardware issue (monitor flickering/dark spot)

Elsanna

Reputable
Dec 13, 2014
So I recently purchased an Asus monitor (VN247H-P) as a quick replacement for my previous one which suffered from the same issue. This monitor was purchased mid October of 2014.

I have an area of the monitor that goes dark randomly. Here is a link to a picture I took http://i.imgur.com/cn2ILXU.jpg

The bottom right just goes dark and stays like that, but it goes away immediately after I turn the monitor off and back on. The previous monitor that I had (LG brand) had the same issue but it was on the top right. This issue happens completely at random. Sometimes I can go a week without seeing it, then suddenly it will start happening once every 10-15 minutes.

I've tried looking up solutions online but nobody seems to be having this exact issue, or those that have similar issues have gotten no responses. I've contacted ASUS support and they don't know the problem either and just told me to connect it to a different computer. (which would be great but the problem can stay hidden for weeks without showing itself, so it would take a while to figure out if that is the case, although it would confirm monitor issue).

Recently (today) it started showing a new issue involving flickering on the right side. It would dim for about a second covering about 1/4th of the right side of the monitor originating from the bottom right, then return to normal, then dim, and repeat. Eventually, it would just go black (the monitor light stays white, rather than going orange meaning it lost signal/power saving mode), but once it goes black, I can turn it off and on and it goes back to normal. The monitor contrast seems to also increase/decrease randomly, making text difficult to read.

It's connected via HDMI cable with an HDMI-to-miniHDMI adapter to my GTX 570. The PSU is a Corsair HX750. I have tried replacing the HDMI cables, I've disconnected all connections in the computer, and reseated the video card, as well as cleaned up all the dust to see if overheat was causing an issue None have fixed the problem. Someone told me to run a video card stability test, and recommended FurMark. After running the FurMark card stress test for over 30 minutes, everything looked fine, and had no issues there. Everything is leading me to believe this is simply a monitor issue, but having this happen to both this and my previous monitor is making me think otherwise, unless it is just pure coincidence.

If anyone can offer some insight on the issue, i'd appreciate it.

Elsanna

Reputable
Dec 13, 2014

Thanks for the reply. Confirmed a monitor issue. I found out that if I take my hand and put some light pressure on the back and front of the monitor to pinch them together, the dark spot goes away. (Pinching the bottom right area of the monitor frame) As soon as I release, it comes back. And sometimes, it seems to fix it temporarily. So I'm guessing it's a bad connection or something.