Do i need a 1440 monitor? BenQ GW2765HT VS Viewsonic vx2770smh

kenshindono

Distinguished
Nov 26, 2004
Ok guys hopefully i can get some good opinions and thoughts on this. Im building a system and was going to grab another monitor in a month or two, unfortunately one of the choices i was looking at is on a pretty big sale right now. Heres the rundown:

I already have an asus VG248QE. Its ok, the 144hz is nice, but its a TN pannel. After using an IPS for a while its hard to go back to a TN =P I figured id keep this for FPS gaming and stuff that requires fast motion/response time, and get an IPS for MMO gaming, browsing, ect. I really liked the viewsonic i used for a while when setting up my sisters computer. It has a 'native' color selection setting that looks pretty good without me having to go in and mess with RGB for hours and hours with my OCD. I WAS just going to get the Viewsonic vx2770smh since its the big brother of the one i was using, but some people were saying i should maybe look at a 1440 monitor. That brought me to the BenQ GW2765HT. I was looking at reviews when i noticed its on sale for about $340 right now. Considering the Viewsonic is about $250 or so thats not that big of a price difference. I was expecting to pay over $450 dollars.

First lemme give you my system specs:
PC part picker link
http://pcpartpicker.com/p/T4xJRB

Case: Thermaltake Overseer RX-I Snow Edition ATX Full Tower Case
Processor: Intel Core i7-4790K 4.0GHz Quad-Core Processor
Cooler: Enermax ETS-T40-W
Motherboard: ASRock Z97 EXTREME6 ATX LGA1150 Motherboard (was hard finding a decent blue MB!)
RAM: ASRock Z97 EXTREME6 ATX LGA1150 Motherboard
HDDs: Intel 730 Series 480GB 2.5" Solid State Drive
WD BLACK SERIES WD2003FZEX 2TB 64MB Cache SATA 6.0Gb/s 3.5" Internal Hard Drive
TOSHIBA PH3300U-1I72 3TB 64MB Cache SATA 6.0Gb/s 3.5" Internal Hard Drive Retail Kit (have 2 or 3 extras probably gonna throw 2 in there i think)
Video card: GIGABYTE 980GTX GV-N980G1 GAMING windforce

Do i need/want a 1440 monitor? Honestly im not sure if i will notice a difference between 1080p and 1440 at 27". Also, im wondering if my build will still be able to run games at max settings on 1440 rez. Can that cpu/gfx card run 1440 with no issue and still max settings or will i have to compromise some of the settings to get high framerates? I was going to be doing a dual montior setup with both the new one and the Asus hooked up at the same time with me just switching back and forth as needed. Wouuld having one set to 1440 and one to 1080p cause any issues in switching back and forth from the desktop? Would having both be 1080p be a better bet? I would think at the very least it would cause problems with the desktop wallpaper and stuff like that.

Really need some opinions/feedback on this because if i go for the benq i should get it soon. I have no idea how long the sale is going for. One other thing that worries me is i know the viewsonic looks good. I havent seen the BenQ in person. Im susceptible to monitor glow and really wanted to see how bad it was on the BenQ before buying it blind. I really wanted to look at the color/menu options too

What do you guys think? Is BenQ even a good brand? Never used them before

kenshindono

Distinguished
Nov 26, 2004
hmm figured id get some comments by now. Browsing some reviews but could really use some opinions. Esepecially on the graphic card ability to run at 1440 with things maxed or switching between the 2 resolutions

chenw

Honorable
My last computer was using the 27" VX2440 (unless I completely misread the code, that's the 27" 1080p IPS right), and I switched to 27" 1440p.

My father would prefer the 27" 1080p because it makes everything look bigger and his eyes are not what it used to be, however, I personally found that 27" 1080p was my threshold of seeing the individual pixels, so I opted to go for either 24" 1080p or 27" 1440p. Ended up going for Swift with SLI 970's.

Here is what I have experienced: The biggest difference between 1080p and 1440p was the desktop, everything else was smaller compared to 1080p, which is fine, because I do find that useful when working in multiple windows. In game I haven't found THAT much of a difference, the bigger difference was the 144hz that came with the monitor. Granted, I never put the two monitors side by side to see if pixel density makes any difference, but I know it removed the threshold of seeing the pixels.

YMMV

kenshindono

Distinguished
Nov 26, 2004
not sure what the VX2440 is.. one im talking about is the vx2770smh. I cant find a vx2440 on a search. Thank you for the feedback on game visuals though. My concern is switching back and forth between a 1440 and 1080 though since i will have them both running side by side. Will there be any issues with it screwing with the desktop or anything else? I will be switching on the fly probably. At the very least it will jack up my wallpaper right?

chenw

Honorable
Sorry, it was a typo, I did mean VX2770-SMH, I don't have a dual monitor setup, but yes, wallpapers tend to get screwed around a little. I even tried 7680x4320 resolution wallpapers (it's a whole number multiple of both 1440p and 1080p resolutions), but on 1440p the image seems aliased.

I played around a little bit with the wallpaper resolutions (I had a wallpaper with different size, all the way up to 4320p), the best wallpaper resolution I have found is 4k (3840x2160) wallpapers, it should scale ok on the 1080p monitor and 1440p shouldn't look noticeably blurred (DSR 4k on 1440p also gave somewhat surprising clarity).

kenshindono

Distinguished
Nov 26, 2004
so basically if i had a multiple and set it to scale it should be ok? I usually have it 'centered' so i figured switching back and forth between 1440 and 1080 would cause an issue. I guess 'scald' as the display option might work. So what your your saying is in game you didn't notice too much of a difference in game. BUt that the desktop browsing was the major change, right? Hmm notsure if id care about the higher rez on the desktop, i was looking for game improvment

Anyone else want to chime in here? Does 1440 make a differnce in games really? Also still wondering if anyone knows if the Gigabyte g1 gaming 980gtx can handle most games at 1440 with everythning at max