Dual monitor issue - 2nd monitor not working

Yves Padisio

Reputable
Dec 14, 2014
Hi! I would like to ask some help about my dual monitor set up.

Here are my specs:

Main monitor: Samsung S23C350 (23" 1920x1080)
Secondary monitor: Viewsonic VA1938wa (18.5" 1080x720)
GPU: Sapphire R9 270x Vapor X 2gg

Note: I am using a DVI to VGA adapters so I can connect my card to the monitors as DVI Cables are limited on my area.

*My main monitor is connected to the 24+5 DVI Port of the card and is perfectly fine.
*Second monitor is connected to the 24+1 DVI port but is not working (No signal)
*I tried switching the cables to check if it is the culprit but cables are working fine.
*I tried to use the HDMI port on the card using an HDMI cable and is also not working on both monitors.
*Tried to switch the connect the 2 monitors to the 24+1 DVI port but is not working.

It seems that the only working port of the card is the 24+5 DVI port. I tried to use a DVI to VGA Splitter on the 24+5 port of the card, it worked and I can see that my desktop has been duplicated on the two monitors but I am not able to extend it as this is not my purpose on why I bought another monitor.

All of the steps mentioned above has same results:

-Tried the Windows + P = Does not do anything
-Tried the screen resolution but it still does not detect the secondary monitor. The only option showing is Display, Resolution and Orientation. ( As far as I know and from what I have read, t here should be an Extend etc monitor option).
-I already updated the GPU's driver to the latest but still does not work.

I will really appreciate your help. I've been trying to figure on how to fix this for 4 days now. I am really desperate right now :(

Solution
Can you get any picture on the Viewsonic at all to verify that its fully op? I mean, if you set up your rig to run single monitor, does it work as advertised? I had an old LG that simply conked out after 15 months where nothing on the set worked but the power button. Took me about 4 days too to realize I was SOL.

Another thing to try might be changing your input resolution. Who knows how your Viewsonic is interpreting the 1920 X 1080 signal. Dumb it down to 1080 x 720 for both. This holds true for your entire troubleshooting process: establish what works at the simplest level and move up from there.

It may very well be your card does have a fault.

Good luck.

Brandolfday

Reputable
Dec 13, 2014
Can you get any picture on the Viewsonic at all to verify that its fully op? I mean, if you set up your rig to run single monitor, does it work as advertised? I had an old LG that simply conked out after 15 months where nothing on the set worked but the power button. Took me about 4 days too to realize I was SOL.

Another thing to try might be changing your input resolution. Who knows how your Viewsonic is interpreting the 1920 X 1080 signal. Dumb it down to 1080 x 720 for both. This holds true for your entire troubleshooting process: establish what works at the simplest level and move up from there.

It may very well be your card does have a fault.

Good luck.

Solution