Radeon HD6670 will output HDMI ONLY in safe mode

sweet_2th

Reputable
Dec 14, 2014
trying to use a vizio HDTV for a monitor, or more specifically a second monitor for my pc and can't seem to get any use out of the HDMI output unless it's in safe mode where it will mirror the screen just fine with the vga, but as soon as I boot in regular windows, it shows loading windows, and the vga output boots, while the HDMI output goes blue showing "No Signal!" This has been driving me MAD for the longest time and I have done all the searching I can stand and have found nothing. My pc is running @ 2.6GHz Dual Core with 3GB Ram, 2048MB ATI AMD Radeon HD 6670, running Windows 7 Home Premium. Any help?

boju

Titan
Ambassador
What happens if you bootup with only the TV?

What kind of monitor do you have that is using the VGA?

Make sure the resolution is set to the optimal settings for the TV. Safe mode operates at a low resolution so thinking there is a resolution mixup between the screen and TV when the operating system goes live.

sweet_2th

Reputable
Dec 14, 2014

If I boot up with only the tv using HDMI it will get to loading windows and go blue saying no signal, and it's not unsupported resolution, because when that does happen, it will be a blue screen showing "not supported"

The monitor I'm using VGA isn't actually a monitor, it's a smaller vizio tv

boju

Titan
Ambassador
Sounds like its a faulty HDMI cable and can't handle the bandwidth and is most likely why you cant get a proper signal in normal Windows.

Try another HDMI cable and make sure the version of cable (3.1/4.1 etc.) matches the TV HDMI requirement.

sweet_2th

Reputable
Dec 14, 2014

I've used the same cable to run from my dvd player to same tv, and works just fine, so I don't think that's it. Also, graphics drivers are up to date on the pc, so that's not it either blacksheep.

boju

Titan
Ambassador
Ok try this, use the screen that does work and set the resolution as low as possible in normal Windows. Now try boot with with the other TV see if you get anything.

Shouldn't swap HDMI while devices are on really, its a hot plug and 'may' cause problems.

Another thing that could be possible is the HDMI HDCP Handshake between two devices need to undertake, its not unusual for this problem to happen but can be sometimes be fixed with a firmware update for the TV if this were the case.

Also in Windows Disply, have you got it set to multiple monitors?

Windows_7_choose_multiple_display_options.png

sweet_2th

Reputable
Dec 14, 2014

On my way to work right now, but will try the lowest resolution when I get home...something to note is that dialog box that you posted, I don't have a pulldown for multiple displays, in fact it doesn't even say multiple displays. More and more frustrating every day.

sweet_2th

Reputable
Dec 14, 2014

So, changing the resolution to the minimum didn't help, but I uninstalled the radeon drivers with display driver uninstaller and rebooted and I can now get a display with both, but only duplicate, and only in 800x600 resolution. It's a start. I'm going to download the oldest drivers for the card and see if that works.

Update: Original drivers didn't help...VGA boots, HDMI no signal.

boju

Titan
Ambassador
Try older drivers, hope its just that.

Does your GPU have DVI as well? Since having your graphics card, have you used either HDMI and if it has DVI both of these ports? or just the VGA?

Possibly the card itself when drivers are installed somehow blocking analog (VGA) and digital (HDMI/DVI) working together. But then it doesn't make sense because you've tried just the HDMI cable and still didn't work.

Hmm. If you have a DVI to VGA adapter (again if you have DVI) try that, see if you get anything from the DVI port.

If HDMI was working with the drivers uninstalled strikes things as very odd, GPU's can out put analog a digital same time which puts a thought the GPU is faulty.

I'm out of ideas, if you get it going with the 6670 let us know.

sweet_2th

Reputable
Dec 14, 2014

Older drivers didn't help at all. I do have a DVI output on the card as well, but have no cable to test it with. Just bought a DVI male to HDMI male adapter from ebay but won't be here for another week. But yeah, I'm at a loss as well.

Update: So I bought a DVI to HDMI cable and plugged the DVI end to the computer and the HDMI end to the tv and it works just fine. Only problem is I wanted to get sound with the HDMI cable, which I can't do with DVI, So what the hell is going on?