Please help me, SuperMicro X9SCM-F MATX Board with Xeon E3-1230 v2 CPU in a SFF

Ban Cheaters

Reputable
Dec 6, 2014
I have a SuperMicro X9SCM-F MATX board for a new build. I am a noob to this as this is my 2nd build and I am confused and have read everything I can find on the topic and maybe because I haven't built many yet and I am new to this, I don't trust myself so I ask for help here. What I don't know for sure is...

my SuperMicro X9SCM-F MATX doesn't have 3.0 usb or e-sata anywhere that I can see and I would like both or atleast 1 of them to be available for my probox because this board along with a E3-1230 V2 CPU are going in a InWin SFF box. I want the build to just have a sdd and processor to keep cool as this will be strictly for my Plex server...

So can I have a 3.0 usb card or e-sata card installed if my board doesn't have them? All I see is 2.0 ports on the board. Do I get them in the pci-e slots? WIll they work if my board does not initially come with 3.0 or e-sata? I already need a graphics card and honestly if I would have realized this sooner, I would have bought a 1245 v2 instead of the 1230 v2 which doesn't have intergrated graphics so now I am getting the cheapest video card that apparently goes in the pci-e 16 slot so I'm not sure what to do here. Any and all advice and help is greatly appreciated and I thank you in advance.

The SuperMicro MBD-X9SCM-F-O features Onboard Video and a D-Sub video port., yet you write, "I already need a graphics card...".
Onboard Video Chipset: Nuvoton WPCM450RA0BX

3.0 usb card or e-sata card can fit in the available:
PCI Express x8 slots: 2 PCI-E 2.0 in x8 slots
PCI Express x4 slots: 2 PCI-E 2.0 in x8 slots

Ban Cheaters

Reputable
Dec 6, 2014

Thanks for your help... Ok I'm glad you mentioned the onboard graphics on the Board, but does that mean that I don't need a Graphics card? Because I was under the impression that I would because the Xeon E3-1230 V2 does not have onboard graphics. I am new to this so I'm sorry if its a dumb question but I'm confused a bit on the graphics. I only need the bare minimum to maintenance the server so If I can get away without adding a graphics card, that would be great, especially with the limited space in the case. Thanks again for your help. I am most appreciative.

PS> If anyone can recommend RAM for this or where to find it, please do. I want 4x2GB of Unbuffered (UDIMM) DDR3 ECC 1600 MHz DIMMs as Recommended by Supermicro but I cant seem to find any, not even 4GB Ram sticks anywhere online so if I wont find this RAM at consumer places like Newegg, can someone point me where I can find the recommended RAM? Thanks much