[Help] 2 Crossfire - R9 290X Lightning(s) Eyefinity setup w/3 monitors

shaneaus

Distinguished
Aug 27, 2010
Setup: Asus A97 MB/i7 CPU/16 GB Ram/EVGA 1000W/x2 - MSI R9 290X Lightning GPUs (12.14 drivers)/x3 AOC 27" monitors in portrait mode

All drivers are the latest ones from each manufacturers website for every component.

In extended desktop mode everything works great. I can be doing multiple things on all monitors and all runs fine.

However, in Eyefinity all goes to crap. The focus on Catalyst starts cutting in/out making it very difficult to make changes. When screens are lit they look great - but, pretty much impossible to do anything. I have to power off, unplug the monitors from the GPU and reset Catalyst to work with the system.

More on setup: All monitors plugged into GPU closest to CPU. Monitors have data port connection/HDMI/VGA. All three are using HDMI cables. One cable directly into back of GPU. The other two are plugged into the GPU using an HDMI cable to an HDMI/DVI connecter and plugged into the DVI ports on the back of the GPU.

Attempts to address the issue so far. I tried using a dataport 1 into 3. The monitors are only recognized as a single Dell monitor and I can't change the resolution (among other issues).

I'm about to leave to the electronics store to return the connector and get a data port cable. Then I'll have one monitor into the data port, one into HDMI, and one into DVI. Hoping that will work (I'll post here upon return).

Any advice is welcome. Questions:
1) is my power supply sufficient?
2) can anyone recommend a working cable/connection solution?
3) Do I need to return something in my setup and go with something else?

I wanted to build a system that was more "future proof" (hence the i7 instead of the i5) and that I could play games/graphics design. The R9's cost about 330.00/ea and were at the top of my budget for GPU's. So, please don't recommend a lower CPU or more expensive GPU. If I can't get this setup to work I would be willing to send these back and get something else in the same price range that is known to work.

shaneaus

Distinguished
Aug 27, 2010
Ok! Appears that the only way I could get Eyefinity to work properly with 3 monitors is to use one monitor for each: DVI, HDMI, and one Display port. Two monitors in the the two DVI ports just would not work for me...

Now, if I can just get Star Citizen to stop changing the screen settings... It makes the display area smaller on the two outside screens and fills the middle screen...

Edit: To fix the issue regarding my last sentence: Once you have Eyefinity set up - go to My Digital Flat-Panels/Properties/enable GPU up-scaling (checked) and select "Use centered timings"