Suggestions: Gaming setup with a ~$3,000 budget

vestax159

Distinguished
Jul 5, 2010
I'm looking for some opinions, suggestions, and verification on this PC build. I'm hoping for a lifespan of at least 5 years and with the number of overclocked components i'm a little worried. Am I simply being overcautious for no reason? Is there additional / better components like fans or heat sinks I can add to mitigate the problem (aside from water cooling)? Maybe I should resign to a non overclocked CPU?

PCPartPicker part list / Price breakdown by merchant

CPU: Intel Core i7-4790K 4.0GHz Quad-Core Processor ($299.99 @ Amazon)
CPU Cooler: Noctua NH-D15 82.5 CFM CPU Cooler ($99.99 @ Newegg)
Motherboard: Asus Z97-PRO ATX LGA1150 Motherboard ($157.98 @ OutletPC)
Memory: G.Skill Ripjaws X Series 16GB (2 x 8GB) DDR3-1866 Memory ($150.97 @ OutletPC)
Storage: Samsung 840 EVO 500GB 2.5" Solid State Drive ($219.98 @ OutletPC)
Storage: Western Digital Caviar Blue 1TB 3.5" 7200RPM Internal Hard Drive ($51.85 @ OutletPC)
Video Card: Gigabyte GeForce GTX 970 4GB WINDFORCE Video Card (2-Way SLI) ($359.99 @ NCIX US)
Video Card: Gigabyte GeForce GTX 970 4GB WINDFORCE Video Card (2-Way SLI) ($359.99 @ NCIX US)
Case: Corsair 500R Black ATX Mid Tower Case ($118.99 @ NCIX US)
Power Supply: EVGA SuperNOVA NEX 750W 80+ Gold Certified Fully-Modular ATX Power Supply ($59.99 @ Newegg)
Case Fan: BitFenix BFF-LPRO-20025B-RP 148.7 CFM 200mm Fan ($20.80 @ Amazon)
Case Fan: Cooler Master JetFlo 95.0 CFM 120mm Fan ($15.99 @ SuperBiiz)
Headphones: Logitech G930 7.1 Channel Headset ($69.99 @ Best Buy)
Speakers: Logitech Z506 155W 5.1ch Speakers ($59.99 @ Best Buy)
Total: $2158.42

vestax159

Distinguished
Jul 5, 2010

That looks pretty solid and I will probably go with windows 7.

• ■ That case is amazing, 10 fan mount locations?! You suggested getting a 200mm fan but it looks like the case only has one mount and comes with one?
    ■ Why go with the EVGA vs the Gigabyte card?
    ■ Why go with that monitor, the resolution and response seems comparable to the one above?
    ■ The CPU cooler isn't showing unless I turn off compatibility filter. You sure it works with the rest of the build?

-Lone-

Admirable

1. I chose those fans because stock fans are usually not as good.
2. I chose Evga because that's just my preference, they are one of the top card makers for Nvidia, but Gigabyte is also nice if you want to change to them.
3. Which "one above" are you talking about? I chose that monitor because that monitor is great for gaming, It is 1440p IPS panel with speakers plus all 4 kinds of display connectors. As long as the response time is below 5 ms it is awesome for gaming, from 1-5 ms you won't notice a difference until you're a super hardcore gaming.
4. And what do you mean it isn't showing, it is for me, I chose the H100i from Corsair. Top and bottom of the page says there are no incompatibility issues.

vestax159

Distinguished
Jul 5, 2010

3. I was looking at this one http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=9SIA4JH1N06431 which is just a little bigger. My fault the original link is pretty tiny.
4. More -> CPU Coolers, it might be comparing it to the original list I had. If you're confident it works i'll trust you, random internet stranger. :pt1cable:

-Lone-

Admirable
That monitor doesn't look too bad, except for it is not an IPS panel, IPS panels have better color accuracy and picture quality. I've seen that cpu cooler like 100 times on builds like this, so yeah, I'm confident it will work. As for the Noctua thing, they do make quieter coolers, but if you don't care about looks, go with the ultimate ugliest of Noctua and go pure performance.

-Lone-

Admirable

How about a little bit of both. I have the CM Nepton 280L which has a max of 39 dbA, which according to most of you that is loud. The H100i has 37.7, so it's pretty close. I play games 4k@max settings and most of the time with my sound at like 5%, which is very quiet and I can barely hear a thing from my case with has dbA of around 35 and higher. That's a pretty heavy load to be under and it is still quiet and keep my systems under 60C, and I'm not deaf, lol. So I don't know how 30+ dbA is "loud" when for me there is no other sounds in my room except for my computer and I barely hear a thing.

-Lone-

Admirable

Probably Noctua, but idk since I never consider their products. Well, that's interesting, there are no liquid cooled Noctua on pcpartpicker, not that I can see on the site. But I'd go with liquid :)

-Lone-

Admirable
I didn't choose the Nepton for the build I gave you because at the bottom of the build says if you use it for that case, you'll have to drill holes for compatibility, so I don't think you want to do that.

-Lone-

Admirable

I like liquid cooling much more than air cooled.

Reasons? Other than aesthetics

-Lone-

Admirable

It's quieter and cooler, also more fan options, like push pull config for my Nepton.

Wait what.... Since when is liquid cooling quieter? And since when can't you push pull an air cooler? liquidncoolers are ALWAYS louder than air coolers. Air coolers usually have 1 or 2 fans. Liquid coolers are the same. On top of those two fans, liquid coolers have the noise of the pumps. In no instance should a liquid cooler be quieter than an air cooler in proper circumstances.

-Lone-

Admirable

Well, they're quiet for me, I never hear anything from my pumps. As for push pull and more fan option, I mean 4 fans, not 2, and I never said air cooled can't do push pull.

vestax159

Distinguished
Jul 5, 2010
I updated the original build.

I think i'm going to go with the Noctua. I didn't see where it's warning me about drilling additional holes, I can handle doing that though.