Looking for good quality but not super expensive 1440p gaming monitor

xDarkxIdealsx

Honorable
Jul 10, 2013
I was planning to go for 4k gaming, but after already buying a Gigabyte G1 super overclock GTX970 and planning on going 2 way sli with them, i found out that even the 980 in SLI has trouble hitting more than 35-40fps at 4k in some games like crysis 3, metro 2033 etc.. So if even with sli 970's i'll only be getting 30-35fps i'm beginning to doubt whether it's worth it. I was considering maybe selling my 970 and getting like an R9 295x2 or something but i'm not much of an AMD fan.

So my backup plan was to go for a higher quality 1440p IPS monitor rather than settling for a cheaper TN 4k monitor which some people are saying might actually look better than 4k overall.

But i'm having trouble finding the kind of monitor i would want, i'm looking for preferably 27" or bigger, IPS monitor with decent response time. I was thinking of getting something with solid picture quality like an OLED 1440p monitor or a 1440p IPS with G-sync, but i can't seem to find either with the exception of the ASUS ROG PG278Q, which is a 1440p G-Sync monitor, but i can't seem to find much info on the refresh rate, if it's IPS or TN etc.. all i know is it claims 1ms gtg response, g-sync, 1440p and 16.7mil color which makes me think it's IPS but it's running anwhere from $800 to $1,000 for it! And there's no way i'd be able to afford that after spending nearly $1,500 to upgarde my rig. I'm buying a 2nd GTX970 to go with my 1st, an I7-4790K, a z97 mobo (thinking either gigabyte G1 sniper or Asus Maximus Hero VII) a Corsair 760t full tower case, a Corsair RM850w PSU, a 1tb HDD and 256GB SSD, 8gb Corsair vengeance pro or dominator platinum ram (hate the look of rip jaw ram) so you can see that i'm already pushing a tall budget.

xDarkxIdealsx

Honorable
Jul 10, 2013

Yeah that's pretty interesting, it definitely isn't as good as the ASUS one, since it doesn't have G-sync and 144hz, but it's not bad for the price i'd say.

xDarkxIdealsx

Honorable
Jul 10, 2013

Yeah it's apparently PLS, but i've heard some people say that PLS is actually better than most mid range IPS in regards to color; and has the same viewing angles too.

IPS/PLS look almost identical, with no 'big' difference between them. I have used a PLS before, and compared to TN, much better when the same refresh rate.

I used to own an Asus PB278Q, similar choice to what you have and ended up getting this. Currently I have gone Samsung 4k UHD.

napkun

Reputable
Dec 2, 2014
Have you considered any of the Korean off-brand monitors such as Qnix or Xstar? A 27" PLS 1440P monitor can be had for around 300$~. One of the major advantages for these monitors is their ability to OC to at least 96hz, I was able to get mine to 110 without issue.

nope, and never will. If you read the small print, dead pixels often aren't covered by warranty, and it is stated that dead pixels are 'normal' in cases for some.

xDarkxIdealsx

Honorable
Jul 10, 2013

Yeah that's why i'm not really too keen on getting a korean one. Stuck pixels drive me nuts unless they're like waaayy up in a corner where i don't see it or something. But honestly i might have to get a korean one, the cost of my build just went quite a bit higher since i decided to go for X99. Although it's probably the most shallow reason to spend several hundred dollars lol, the ASUS X99 Pro and Deluxe mobo's have real nice looking white armory-plate covering them that looks great with the arctic white and black corsair 760t case i'm gonna get and the silver/white corsair dominator platinum ram; as well as matching the silver and white on the Intel 730 series 480gb SSD's i'm going to get and put in RAID 0. It also looks great with the Swiftech H220X liquid cpu cooler i'm gonna get since the block has replaceable LED cover panels to change the lighting color to white/blue/red/green and the blue/white looks great with the setup as well as the white from the visible reservoir. Gonna be damn expensive...but worth it if i can scrape together the money.

Asus X99 Pro mobo = $320
Corsair 760t Case = $175
16gb quad channel ddr4 RAM = $400
I7-5820K 6 core CPU = $389
Swiftech H220X liquid cpu cooler = $140

(once i get these parts i can swap my gtx970 and xfx ts 550watt psu along with my 500gb HDD and disk drive into the new case which will let me actually "use" the pc even though i'm not done yet ($1,440 spent so far)

Then i'll be getting

Intel 730 series 480bb SSD x 2 = $440
CoolerMaster V850w PSU = $150
2nd Gigabyte GTX970 G1 gpu for SLI = $369
Windows 7 OEM = $80

So i'm looking at like $2,500 or so....on an $8.15/hour job lol

Then i would still have to get a monitor, so i'm coming close to $3,000 total at that point, although i could always sell my 550w psu, i5-3570k, my hdd/disk drive, and the case on ebay or something for a couple hundred.

xDarkxIdealsx

Honorable
Jul 10, 2013

Yeah, if it looked anywhere near as good as this ASUS one then i'd jump on it. Unfortunately i can't find a single mobo that looks this good in either z97 or x99. THe only ones that i "may" even consider getting instead are the ASUS Formula z97 with the nice black armor stuff on it and the fact that it actually lets you liquid cool the motherboard with two hose connections with copper channels leading through the mosfet and whatnot on the board. And as a 3rd place contendor, the ASUS Maximus Hero VII. Honestly if these boards had some of the aesthetics that the x99 did i might jump on them, like if they had the 8 RAM slots, with 4 on each side etc..

xDarkxIdealsx

Honorable
Jul 10, 2013

Yeah i really loooove the white and silver look of the setup. That white ASUS x99 mobo is just perfect looking, the swiftech cpu liquid cooler is not only the best on the market, beating out the Corsair h110 and stuff for cpu temps, but it also has a great looking "tron" like led effect that you can make white or blue to match either the white/silver of the RAM/mobo/ssd's/case or the blue led that my gpu has. Then i can also expand this cpu cooler, even though it's an all in one pre-built one. You just buy the hose length and fittings and gpu block etc.. and replace the hose that came with it and you can make a full water loop. The damn RAM is the thing that really gets me, they don't sell DDR4 in less than 2,400 or so, so i can't get any of that sexy looking corsair dominator for less than $399 whereas i can get 16gb (4x4) of DDR3 platinum for $250ish.

but once i calculate everything i'm really not spending "too" much more. About $150 more on RAM and about $80 more on the CPU (i would only save money on the mobo if i went with asus hero instead of formula) so i'm only saving between $230 and $330 or so depending on which z97 board i would get if i did that instead of x99. So i figured, "meh, $200-300 more isn't too bad considering the looks and benefits of x99" but i also considered that if i sold my current 970, and saved that extra $300ish i could actually get myself an EVGA GTX980 Classified super overclocked gpu with 1,397mhz base boost clock and it has a special ln2 overclocking custom bios, OR, they also have the EVGA GTX980 hydro copper, which is a 980 classified already put in a waterblock ready for a loop (although i'm not sure if it has the custom ln2 bios, if it did i'd prolly jump all over it) Reason i went with 970 was cuz i originally planned to do 4k with 2 gigabyte g1 970's in SLI, but now that i'm likely sticking with 1440p i wonder if i would've been better of getting either a Classified GTX980, hydro copper 980 for a waterloop with my swiftech, or even an R9 295x2 instead since the classified is $699, hydro copper is $799 and R9 295x2 is $750-800ish which is about the cost of the 970 i have + the one i was going to get. I wonder how sli 970's stack up to the classified/hydro copper 980.

-Lone-

Admirable
Lol, you might be even more picky than me :p But I like red and black scheme for my mobo and have the RAM either black or red to match the RAM slots. Then of course the GPU has to be red, which is AMD, then my case fans are blue, and my built in case LEDs are green. For physical parts I guess I like black and red the most, but overall my computer is multi colored :)

xDarkxIdealsx

Honorable
Jul 10, 2013

Well, i wouldn't say i'm "that" picky. I have my gtx970 with blue led under the windforce logo, a microsoft sidewinder x4 keyboard with red led's, a razer abyssus mouse with blue led, a Razer Kraken 7.1 headset with green led's etc.. so i'm pretty unmatched at least on peripherals and gpu. I figured i might as well try to make things look close together if possible. Which is where the whole white/silver with some black theme comes in. White and black case with white led fans, white and silver motherboard, silver RAM with white led's, white or blue led on waterblock and white reservoir, blue led on gpu etc.. it all fits that "cool color" theme with whites and blues rather than "hot" colors like yellow/black/red etc..

As for the gpu, i'm more concerned with performance, i got my 970 before i even decided to make a new build, i had to replace my 660 that i accidentally magnetized while measuring with a metal tape measure -__- then after deciding on a new build i was gonna make a 4k rig with sli 970's. Then i found out the lower 256 bit memory bus and less cuda cores makes 2 way SLI with 970s and even 980s to some degree worse for 4k than an R9 295x2 or even 780 ti's since the 295x2 has 512 bit memory bus and over 5,000 cuda/shader cores and the 780 ti has 384 bit bus and 2,880 cores which makes up for the lower vram even at 4k. So i settled on 1440p, but i kind of regret the 970 purchase now since a single real good card might be better for 1440p considering the possibility of driver issues with SLI. Although i gotta admit that having two gpu's usually "looks" cooler especially in a full tower case like mine that'll have tons of room since i'm buying 2tb of ssd storage so i can remove all hard drive bays. But the nice looks of that sleek 980 classified or maybe doing a small EK water loop with the 980 hydro copper would be pretty damn cool as well, and i already would have the gear to setup a loop with the swiftech cpu cooler. And i'm still considering the 295x2 but one benefit of the 980's is i wouldn't even have to change my 550 watt xfx 80+ bronze psu right away even moving from a 90-100 wat 3570K with 150 watt 970 to a 140 watt 5820K and 180 watt 980 i think.

xDarkxIdealsx

Honorable
Jul 10, 2013

lol, nice. let me guess, dual AX1500's? Corsair 900D case? that would be pretty epic setup :D

I'm now considering changing my plans, rather than X99 with the white theme, i'm thinking maybe go with the Z97 ASUS Maximus Formula VII which is still a $300 board and looks pretty cool, especially if i plan to do a waterloop since it has copper under the mobo and threads so you can watercool the motherboard itself. Then get an I7-4790K instead of the I7-5820K which saves me $80, and get Corsair Dominator Platinum DDR3 rather than DDR4 which for 16gb (4x4gb) i save $150.

With the extra money along with selling my Gigabyte G1 GTX970 i would be able to either buy a $699 EVGA GTX980 Classified and use the not as nice looking EK waterblock (they don't have one for classified yet i guess, but EK said that the 780 classified water block "might" fit) or just get the $799 EVGA GTX980 Hydro Copper, it's clocked the same as the classified (1,397mhz boost) but doesn't have the dual bios so i'm not sure if it'd be better to wait for EK to release a classified water block for it or to go with the hydro copper that has the beautiful EVGA LED lit up water block on it. tough decision, i could also use the EK gtx970 gigabyte block, but it only covers like 75% of the card so i worry that it could get damaged and also doesn't look nearly as good, especially if i do SLI.

I wonder if the watercooling of the 980 Hydro Copper would allow it to overclock better and thus perform better than the air cooled 980 classified even though it doesn't have the Ln2 and overclock custom bios's.

-Lone-

Admirable
Actually I required a single 4 pin power connector and my AX1500i didn't have it. So I ordered the Evga Supernova 1600w P2 just for that little connector...what a waste of time. Now that the extra power connector has been disabled, I don't need the new PSU, so I bought it just for 10min of use, time to return it. So now my new computer actually works and my problem has been resolved, time to enjoy the x99 ultimate build :D

xDarkxIdealsx

Honorable
Jul 10, 2013

Very nice lol. So you're gonna get the AX1500i now that you don't need the 4 pin? the supernova P2 is still great but the 1500i is literally the best psu money can buy for non server pc's.

What is your X99 ultimate setup? 5960X with rampage v extreme or something? Like i mentioned i was considering going I7 5820K with ASUS X99 PRO mobo and DDR4 corsair plat. etc.. but with the money i would save going down to Z97 ASUS Formula VII, I7 4790K and DDR3 corsair plat (~$250) i would either be able to buy a 2nd Gigabyte GTX970 for SLI or if i sold my old pc (i5 3570K, gtx970, 8gb a-data 1600mhz RAM, XFX TS 550w PSU) for like $500 and combined it with the $250 i saved i could get a GTX980 Classified or possibly a hydro copper. If i do go with the Z97 Formula there's really no reason to not do a waterloop since i can watercool the MoBo too.

I'm just soooo stuck on what to do with the GPU, either stick with my 970 and get a 2nd 970 and buy two EK waterblocks for them, sell my old pc and 970, buy a 980 classified and run it stock or wait for an EK classified block to come out, or 3rd, get the GTX980 Hydro Copper that comes with the classified 1,397mhz OC and is already inside of the EVGA waterblock. What would you reccomend? I imagine dual 970's would possibly beat even a watercooled 980 classified, but at 1440p would i even need 970 sli? I might be able to hit 60fps at 1440p even in demanding/modded games with a hydro copper or 980 classified. Although SLI might look better if i could find a way to fully cover the card.

Also, do you think there'd be much difference with gaming and mild/moderate editing with I7 4790K, DDR3, Z97 vs I7 5820K, DDR4 on X99?

"Also, do you think there'd be much difference with gaming and mild/moderate editing with I7 4790K, DDR3, Z97 vs I7 5820K, DDR4 on X99?"

Difference won't be much now, but later it will (for the CPU when you will need 6 cores and higher threads). Due to the high timings on DDR4 currently, DDR3 G-Skill Tridents can match it's performance making the ram currently not a 'big' hit.