Will one SAPPHIRE Radeon R9 290 work on ultra with three monitors hooked up?

JerryLittlemars

Reputable
Dec 15, 2014
I'm looking to upgrade my GPUs so I can play the new AC Unity and GTA V on max settings when they come out on PC.

I currently have 3 23" Dell S2340M Monitors, each with DVI and VGA ports.

I want to know if just one SAPPHIRE Radeon R9 290 card will work well for playing high end games on max settings with 3 screens
( Link to card: http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16814202080 )

Or, should I buy multiple R9 290 cards, or if I should consider buying a different card all together.

My main goal is to get a card(or cards) that'll work well with gaming on three screens.

Thanks for your time!

Solution
No need for 3x r9 290 get the 2x r9 290 or 2 x gtx 970 even better option at low power consumption with 2x SLI or CF setup you will able to play AC unity with triple monitor setup most likely with decent FPS.

Robertwhyte

Reputable
May 6, 2014
nothing can play AC unity even at 1080p the game is broke as hell. As for max settings on gta5, yes but at a less than adequate frame rate. just to be clear? are you planning on playing the game on all 3 screens? if not, then the r9 290 is fine.

JerryLittlemars

Reputable
Dec 15, 2014

Yes, I want to play on all 3 screens. I'm able to play gta iv on all three screens now, and I have a GTX 660 and GTX 560 in sli, but if I crank up everything to the max, I get lag (so I know hey can't handled the new gta lol).

JerryLittlemars

Reputable
Dec 15, 2014

Thanks! Do you happen to know any GPUs good for a 3 monitor setup with Unity? And how many do I need? Like should I get 1 of these GPUs per screen? Or would 1 GPU be enough to run max settings on all three screens? Thanks for your quick reply!

lfkfkfkffs

Admirable
1080p across 3 screens @ 1080 normally can run just fine with one good video card. My wife plays on 3 monitors with the r9 290x but I'm getting her a 2nd with a new water block as a present. She gets 60+ fps in pretty much all games, but a few with bad optimization. If you plan on doing crossfire remember the TRI-X will take up 3 slots per card because of its larger than normal heatsink. Imo just get something like the MSI lightning 290x best 290x for the price it also takes up 3 slots but I've noticed that it is one of the quietest and most cool r9 290x cards

I am afraid there is no single card which will run AC unity with a triple monitor setup.

69430.png

Above chart shows that ac unity minimum FPS at ultra settings with different AA levels at 1080p.

JerryLittlemars

Reputable
Dec 15, 2014

I see what you're saying. So basically, if I want to run AC Unity with one screen, one card would work. But if I wanted to run on all 3 screens, it wouldn't. And for more other games (like gta), one card will work for 3 screens fine too.

But what if I bought three R9 290 cards? Would that be able to run Unity maxed out on all three screens? If not, do you know of any cards I'd have to buy multiple of to run it?

JerryLittlemars

Reputable
Dec 15, 2014

Thanks! You've been real helpful, I now know which cards I need to get :)