Intel XEON E5320 + nVidia Quadro NVS 285 (possible bottleneck?)

twst

Reputable
Apr 1, 2014
Hello guys,

I currently have a rig which has the following specs:

CPU: Intel XEON E5320 (http://ark.intel.com/products/28031/Intel-Xeon-Processor-E5320-8M-Cache-1_86-GHz-1066-MHz-FSB)

Memory: 2GB (2 X 1 GB) DDR 667 MHZ ECC Fully Buffered
and
Video Card: nVidia Quadro NVS 285.

The problem is that when streaming videos (720p / 1080p) on Youtube or other online streaming sites, the video sometimes lags feels sluggish while playing.

Do you think that the processor bottlenecks the video card or the other way around?

I know it's ancient PC but still :)

Any answer is appreciated

Thanks

Your equipment is old but still serviceable. My guess is that your CPU and GPU should be able to handle playing video. There is a good chance that you are running out of memory. I would first add 2GB more memory at least. Used ecc memory from old servers is dirt cheap.
The low clocks of your CPU will make your system slow in general. You have to check your motherboard for compatibility, but old socket 771 cpus can be picked up for < $20 on ebay. It could be worth your while if you can get one running at 2.66 GHz or higher.
THE NVS 285 is only suitable for basic use, but should be able to handle video playback. I've used that chip in lab computers and as far as I can remember they didn't have trouble with youtube.

twst

Reputable
Apr 1, 2014
Thanks for your information. I would like to know if upgrading the video card (for example to Geforce 210) will take the load of the CPU when playing (streaming) videos?

Legohouse

Honorable
May 13, 2013

Yes, that should do it. However, upgrading your Memory must be your priority. I think the GPU is okay so try adding more than 2GB. Come on, 2GB for streaming is pretty low. So let me know your motheboard model if you would me to recommend some memory for you? Hope that helps.

twst

Reputable
Apr 1, 2014

Hello Lego and thanks for your answer. I will reply to you later about my MB model as I am not at home now... i know that it supports only DDR 667 ECC 5300F fully bufferred dimms. I currently have 2 x 1 GB and if I look in task manager I don't see all the memory used up when I watch video streams :)

So I should have at least 3 gb of ram?

Legohouse

Honorable
May 13, 2013

In that case go to task manager and check the performance of your CPU while watching video. Also make sure your PC is malware n virus free and also make sure you have the latest drivers.