New Low end silent GFX card, better than an old high end card?

stuPatrick

Reputable
Dec 15, 2014
Heya.

Wife's computer has bricked so I need to replace some bits and pieces. the extent of her use is Web/email/netflix and MMOs, so GW2 Wow and anything else in that genre which is graphically scalable, and still pleasant to look at (cartoony graphics).

When I'm building my rigs, I go for as close to enthusiast as I can afford, but she wants to spent the absolute minimum, and that's not a familiar territory for me at all, so am happy to take advice.

She's not interested in the latest and greatest techs and as long as the game looks passable she's happy. Another thing she would like is a non noisy solution, unlike her current handmedown which was one of my older high end rigs and sounds like a jet engine (Radeon reference card loud).

Outgoing rig:

core i7 920
12GB Ram
Radeon HD 4890

I'm fairly certain after previous troubleshooting and swapping out that the gfx card is the main culprit (hopefully only), so I'm going to do a phased upgrade starting with that and a fresh HDD too.

So any opinions on the card? I'll start researching on myself too but the choice on this end of the scale seems bewildering, with newer lower end cards and older middle and high end ones.

Any help appreciated.

Vexillarius

Reputable
Aug 23, 2014
The 750 Ti would be a good choice. It's plenty to run games like WoW, and you can get a semi-fanless version (Asus Strix) or even a passively cooled version (Palit has one).

stuPatrick

Reputable
Dec 15, 2014
Radeon:

Asus HD 5450 SILENT 1024MB GDDR3 PCI-Express Low Profile
Sapphire Radeon R7 240 Boost 2048MB GDDR3 PCI-Express

Nvidia:

Asus GeForce GT 210 SILENT Low Profile 1024MB GDDR3 PCI-Express Graphics Card
Asus GeForce GT 610 SILENT Low Profile 1024MB GDDR3 PCI-Express Graphics Card
MSI GeForce GT 720 OC SILENT 2048MB GDDR5 PCI-Express Graphics Card
Palit GeForce GT 720 SILENT 2048MB GDDR3 PCI-Express Graphics Card
Palit GeForce GT 730 SILENT 2048MB GDDR3 PCI-Express

These all ranfe from about £20 to £50 Which is about on budget, and this is only a sample of cards in the offing, also it seems nvidia has a lot more low end choice and based on some precursory spec cheks, more bang for buck, with speeds and ram amounts, (but I know that this isn't the whole story)

Off to do more research, would appreciate a guiding hand to save me some time though. :D

stuPatrick

Reputable
Dec 15, 2014

Thanks Vexillarius.

Right so my budget is too low then, double it to about 100? Are those sub $50 ones I've listed not much cop at all, would they be worse than a HD 4890? (if it worked)