New rig power cycling and won't post. I'm running out of ideas.

szl2798

Reputable
Dec 15, 2014
This is a new build. Upon pressing power, the system would power up for 6-7 seconds then shuts down for 2 seconds then powers back up again sometimes for another 6-7 seconds then repeats the cycle indefinitely or sometimes it would power back up again for only 2 seconds the second time around then shuts down for good. Attempting to power it back up again immediately after that results in a 1 second power on then shuts down.

First I suspected power supply. I was able to switch to another known good power supply and still had same issue.

Next I checked proper contact of CPU with the heatsink. Everything is fine so it's not over heating.

I then disconnected everything from the motherboard leaving only the CPU+fan, and RAM and took the entire board out of the case. Still the same issue.

I swapped out RAM after that with no success either. The only component I don't have another to swap out to test is the CPU due to the socket type.

So at this point I naturally suspected bad motherboard so I RMA'ed my board to vendor and ordered another of the same model.

With the new motherboard installed and only CPU Fan and RAM installed with 24pin power and 8pin power I still get the same exact problem.

The only thing left is CPU which is extremely rare that it would be bad. So just out of curiosity I took the cpu off the motherboard entirely and attempted to boot. I get the same repeating power-on power-off cycle.

So my question is, is this symptom indicative of a completely dead CPU? I need some opinions on what the issue might be before I replace CPU as well.

Specs:
GIGABYTE GA-Z97MX-Gaming 5
Intel Core i5-4690K Devil's Canyon
CORSAIR Vengeance Pro 16GB (2 x 8GB)
CORSAIR AX series AX760 760W

popatim

Titan
Disconnect the case's on/off and reset wiring at the motherbd. Momentarily Jumper the power sw pins and see if it still restarts.

I realize you said you took the motherbd out but it wasn't clear if you tried booting it while it was out. At this point its a stuck switch or cpu as you've said.