Best Computer Monitors: October 2014 (Archive)

Status
Not open for further replies.

slyu9213

Honorable
Nov 30, 2012
I honestly appreciate and love that Tomshardware has increased their Best XXX of Month Year from just CPU/GPUs to motherboards and monitors, etc. When 1080p gaming I use my TV or a 1280 x 1024 monitor. It's about time I get a 1080P+ monitor and this makes it easier for me to not have to do my own research when busy or short on time.

I will accept the possibility that "I may not know what I'm missing," but I've got two 1920x1080 60Hz LED-backlight monitors, don't think I paid over $150 for either, and am quite happy with them.
I agree with James that you need to look specifically at lower price tiers, and discuss what the extra money buys. For example, my monitors lack DisplayPort; at what price does that appear?

Goldengoose

Distinguished
Jul 12, 2011
I see a lot of people in the monitors + Mobo comparison complaining that all the ones they have reviewed are in the higher price brackets. I agree they need to do some of the lower ones but i think readers need to understand it takes time to go through and review each part. I assume they are doing the higer priced stuff before we get down to mid-range/low range.

bpbarrette

Distinguished
Oct 22, 2011
"In the Gaming category, we see that you can still buy one of the first 144Hz monitors to hit the market, Asus’ VG248QE. With a software utility, it offers blur reduction. And brave enthusiasts can add a G-Sync control board if they’re willing to do a little surgery."

I would gladly do this, but you can't get the board anymore.

juanton

Reputable
Dec 16, 2014
At this point I'm pretty sure they are never going to add price scale that includes under 300 dollar monitors, as it gets asked for by a good porition of the commentors every single monthly round up and they ignore it every single month round up. My only question is why?

mikenygmail

Distinguished
Aug 29, 2009
Best monitor was my 27" IPS 2560x1440 Monoprice for $299 + $10 Rakuten credit with free shipping.
NOTE: I clicked on the Asus ProArt PQ279Q 1440p monitor Amazon link and I was redirected to a 1080p monitor. Please fix this.

vertexx

Honorable
Apr 2, 2013
Still no budget category. Do you think buyers of the "Best Gaming CPUs for the Money" recommended Pentium G3258 are going to spend $300+ on a monitor? You have budget categories for all the other "Best" articles, why not here?

SessouXFX

Distinguished
Nov 5, 2011
In before "We demand Ultra High Quality monitors under $100!!!"....

Not because nobody wants that. But because some of you aren't being realistic, when it comes to some of these lists.

silnox

Distinguished
Oct 3, 2008
Well, I believe is quite normal that they compare only mid/high end monitors. There are also facts to not include low priced monitors, some mid end monitors will lower their price, and also there are loads of monitors low price and quite few high priced ones.

I recently bought an Asus Rog Swift 278Q, in paper is a great Gaming monitor but if you are considering on buying hear this first: I bought one, found 4 spots with bright pixels, and read ASUS warranty, Spanish Legal System and European Laws. In all 3 documents, there is no option to misunderstanding: The bright (not dead) pixels I have, means immediate change. You could expect that from a monitor incredibly expensive that is ROG and also ASUS. (Supposedly have quality)

As you can imagine right now. They are giving me a really hard time and annoying me so much that I refused dealing with them anymore, I have ended sending it back to the re-seller for complete refund (that will not be happy with ASUS, but European laws protect me as consumer). After that I know that ASUS has the worst possible consumer service ever... I would name it "screw the consumer service", they are in another country, sending me loads of stupid emails. 5 phone calls, 2 online chats and 10 emails latter... I have decided never, NEVER buy anything from ASUS again and I know that If my ASUS 980 G.C. gets broken during warranty period I will have to administratively sue them to get my warranty. (I really love Europe :). Don’t know if other countries have same systems. I feel bad for having paid so much top dollar for a brand like that, if I had known... Now I know, and you too.

No matter how good the monitor is, if you spend a lot of money and got a broken monitor like mine believe me, much better a Benq of 100$... much much better.

So, now I would like to have a chart of administrative sues against customer service to make my shopping in expensive products. But I know that’s impossible :(. But paying more is not an insurance of quality anymore.

markdm53

Reputable
Aug 24, 2014
Last Dec I found myself in a position where I had to build a new setup on the fly (as I ended up giving my parents my Windows 7 setup after their Windows XP went south). I happen to pick up a couple of Seiki 39" 4K TVs for under $500 each. As a TV they sucked,( I ended up returning one because it couldn't match my parents Sony 29" CRT). But I kept one as my new PC monitor.
There were issues with this TV(and Seiki support is the pits) but after a lot of online talk, the use of a firmware update from their 50" model addressed most of them. There was suppose to be an update to 60hz but I never saw it happen as I'm at 30hz.
When it comes to specs my setup can't match anything here. But to be honest, I'm SPOILED! When it comes to doing normal tasks there is nothing like having massive real estate in 4k where I can open dozens of windows, spread them around, or even split screen with Windows 8.
At one point this TV went down to $400. For this price there is nothing here that can match it. This is NOT a gaming rig. I'm using a r9 270x and I still have driver crashes even with the latest drivers.
Maybe Tom's Hardware can answer this for me. Why is it that PC monitors seem to be so much more expensive than TVs? DO they not use the same Panels? I'm sure the electronics are different, but do they really cost that much more?

Frankenstein002

Honorable
Apr 27, 2014
Plz provide budget categories like in cpu n mobo article...
Really man... The user who is going with best gaming cpu for budget as suggested in cpu article (intel pentium g3xxx cpu) is obviously not gonna buy a ROG swift... Uh? What do u guys think bout it?

SessouXFX

Distinguished
Nov 5, 2011
I think anyone in the budget range will obviously not go straight to the top of the line monitor, when he sees other monitors that are 1/2-1/3 the price along side it in this guide.... >.>

G

Really recommending the PG278Q is beyond me. The model is a wide-gamut support and are not suited for casual users. Overall i feel this guide is really more aimed at gamers and most i see here have TN panels. There are plenty of better screens especially 1440p ISP screens like

AOC Q2770PQU
BenQ BL2710PT
Eizo EV2736W
Iiyama ProLite XB2779QS

Even the new Dell 2715H have gotten well received reviews.

All PWM-free screens.

Yes they cost a bit more but since the screen probably would outlive most of the computer components or even the computer itself it's worth investing in it a bit more.

superstition

Distinguished
Feb 27, 2009
The BenQ 3200PT monitor is never anywhere near $1000. It can be found for as little as $600 when on sale. It is a fantastic monitor. Right now it's $675 or so on B&H and on Amazon, NOT $999.

Status
Not open for further replies.