Gtx 970 sli vs another gtx 780 ti plus new power supply

Zer1000

Honorable
Dec 8, 2013
I am thinking about upgrading my system, and I have been looking around and am now have to decide what I should do. I currently have a gtx 780 ti, and I have the option to get another one to run it in sli, however, that would require getting a new power supply as well, because though my 850 watt supply has enough wattage to run both cards, it would only just have enough, meaning i would at least have to get a 1000 watt power supply or better with at least gold 80+ certification. My other option, as you probably have guessed given the title, is to instead get 2 970s, which after selling the gtx 780 ti, would really only cost me around $300, and since these cards are more efficient, 850 watts would be plenty for them with some overhead. I am just curious what you guy think I should do.

chenw

Honorable
If it was my choice, it would somewhat depend on the quality of the power supply, as I could use this opportunity to get a high grade (tier one possibly) PSU, but if your 850W is of decent quality (tier 2 grade A or better), then I am inclined to go dual 970.

Zer1000

Honorable
Dec 8, 2013

I guess the one I have is tier 3, but price is a bit of an issue, and most of the tier 1 models seem expensive when coupled with a gtx 780 ti

chenw

Honorable
I would aim for at least a tier 2 Grade B, though preferably a Grade A.

I am biased when it comes to computer parts, my top priority is usually a good PSU (as in, once I have a rough idea the build and what wattage I need, PSU gets picked first, before anything else).