VGA monitor, incoming R9 290...

Comandante_J

Honorable
Mar 11, 2014
Hi, i just ordered parts for a new PC, the card is a 290 Tri-X, and in the near future i will crossfire it with another and hooke it up to a 4K display.

But in the meantime, i will be using my old 1680x1050 22 inch Hanns.G monitor, wich sadly, only has VGA input.

What can i do? I dont want to spend on active converters...

Is it possible to use the VGA output on the Z97 motherboard (Asus Z97 Pro-Gamer), and still use the 290?

Solution
It apparently depends on the manufacturer -- according to Micro Center's website, the Diamond brand models have DVI-I outputs (single or dual), with the rest having DVI-D (single or dual).

However....

All of the cards (290 & 290X) have DisplayPorts on them. You can get a DisplayPort-to-VGA adapter fairly cheap (around $20 USD), which would allow you to continue using the old monitor.

TheDualshock

Honorable
Jan 24, 2014
No, you will need to the display to be plugged onto the graphics card to be able to use the R9 290's power. A VGA to DVI doesn't cost much and the graphics card may come with one. My friend's R9 270x came with one but not sure about mine.

Dunlop0078

Titan
Ambassador

No you would be using either the cpu or the motherboards on-board graphics if you plug it into the motherboard. You will have to buy an adapter to hook up vga to the graphics card if you want to use it.

Comandante_J

Honorable
Mar 11, 2014

The problem is that 290 and 290x's, as far as im aware dont have any kind of analog output, DVI outputs are DVI-D. I use a DVI-I to VGA in my actual computer (5850 crossfire), but DVI-D doesnt have analog ouput pins, so the usual white DVI to VGA adaptor, cant be used.

So... Ill need to save money fast for the new monitor LOL

Thanks guys.

spdragoo

Splendid
Ambassador
It apparently depends on the manufacturer -- according to Micro Center's website, the Diamond brand models have DVI-I outputs (single or dual), with the rest having DVI-D (single or dual).

However....

All of the cards (290 & 290X) have DisplayPorts on them. You can get a DisplayPort-to-VGA adapter fairly cheap (around $20 USD), which would allow you to continue using the old monitor.

Solution