Will switching from VGA to DVI-D cable help with screen quality?

Linnaeus

Reputable
Mar 8, 2014
I have this old monitor: http://www.amazon.com/Dell-E228WFP-Widescreen-1680x1050-resolution/dp/B001BKR5D8. It's about 6 years old but still running fine. I recently finished my first build with a brand new monitor. I have both monitors in dual setup but the screen quality from the older monitor is not as great compared to the newer one. The new monitor is hooked up via HDMI and older via VGA. Instead of a VGA or analog input, will switching to DVI-D cable help with the quality? Will it be significantly noticeable?

Joshontech

Honorable
Jun 23, 2013
A VGA connection can support up to 1920x1080 and I assume that your older monitor is not 1080p so a VGA connection will be fine. Also from a personal stand point it has more to do with the quality of the screen than the connection you have to it. once you get to 1080p and up though (if a monitor with that res even still has a VGA connection) you will start to see ghosting on your screen.

ttcboy

Distinguished
Jul 14, 2006
As with my personal experience, even for the same monitor, DVI connection give clearer and sharper image compare to VGA. It's worth the change as the DVI cables are dirt cheap anyways.