NEW SSD, possible fresh OS install for Win 7 Professional, question about DRIVERS

okie, so I ordered a samsung 840 EVO 120GB ssd, which is my first time ever owning an SSD which im very excited about ;) so, what i was leaning towards was migrating my HDD to my SSD, primarily I want the SSD just for OS and maybe a sprinkle of other things here and there, but want majority of my game recordings, games, files, ect on my two 1TB HHds. with that being said, I do know a fresh install of Windows is ideal, and although I really dont want to go that route I do want to get all the facts beforehand that way I can make a better decision.
so let me stop rambling and just ask the question
what drivers would I need to redownload? aside from redownloading everything the whole downloading all the different drivers is the most intimidating thing to me. as stated in the title I have Windows 7 Professional 64 Bit. so any help on what to actually do after a fresh install would be greatly appreciated.
Thanks everyone :o)
4 answers Last reply
More about ssd fresh install win professional question drivers
  1. Congratulations on the SSD. You'll love the speed!

Before you install the SSD, open your Device Manager and note all the hardware there (expand the tree and PrintScreen might be best). All that hardware will need drivers, however Windows (once you do a fresh install) will find most of them online automatically. Depending on your hardware, you may need to search and download some on your own. If you have a motherboard with onboard LAN, I would suggest at least finding and download that group of drivers from the manufacturer's website.

Before installing the new SSD, remove your existing hard drive (or just unplug it). Install SSD and load Windows onto it. THEN re-install old hard drive, which you can now use as a data drive.

After loading Windows, if LAN doesn't work right away, you'll need to load those motherboard drivers (or separate driver if you have a PCIe LAN card). From there, Windows should detect and load most drivers automatically. If in doubt, go back to Device Manager and confirm all hardware has drivers (no caution icons).

Note that you will have to re-install all programs as well, so you might want to make a list of those before you pull the trigger.
  2. Do you mean if you do go with a fresh install? Sorry, your question was not very clear. You need to re-download all drivers, some are already in the windows installation disc, some will be automatically updated via windows update, some other you will need to download. Install windows 7 on the new hard disc and place the other one as a secondary where you be able to get your files from. I would say the most important thing is to have the driver for the network adapter, with that you can download anything and won't get stuck. But definitely a fresh install, always when possible.
  3. guisasso said:
    Do you mean if you do go with a fresh install? Sorry, your question was not very clear. You need to re-download all drivers, some are already in the windows installation disc, some will be automatically updated via windows update, some other you will need to download. Install windows 7 on the new hard disc and place the other one as a secondary where you be able to get your files from. I would say the most important thing is to have the driver for the network adapter, with that you can download anything and won't get stuck. But definitely a fresh install, always when possible.

Yes I meant fresh install, sorry. I don't have the disk I will be reinstalling from a USB flash drive, does that change anything when it comes to drivers? Sorry I wasn't very clear. I just started getting into all these techie fun stuff and proudly built my first pc a week ago (won't be my last, I'm addicted now lol) so I am rather fresh to all of this, basically a noob lol. But I want to try and learn as much as I can so I can be very thorough. :)
  4. Miss_Nicole said:
    guisasso said:
    Do you mean if you do go with a fresh install? Sorry, your question was not very clear. You need to re-download all drivers, some are already in the windows installation disc, some will be automatically updated via windows update, some other you will need to download. Install windows 7 on the new hard disc and place the other one as a secondary where you be able to get your files from. I would say the most important thing is to have the driver for the network adapter, with that you can download anything and won't get stuck. But definitely a fresh install, always when possible.

Yes I meant fresh install, sorry. I don't have the disk I will be reinstalling from a USB flash drive, does that change anything when it comes to drivers? Sorry I wasn't very clear. I just started getting into all these techie fun stuff and proudly built my first pc a week ago (won't be my last, I'm addicted now lol) so I am rather fresh to all of this, basically a noob lol. But I want to try and learn as much as I can so I can be very thorough. :)

Not at all. You can also download a tool to backup your drivers, but I would only used the backup drivers if needed. If the network adapter is working properly, windows update will find about 99% of drivers if not all.
    http://sourceforge.net/projects/drvback/
Ask a new question

Read More

SSD Drivers Clean Install Windows 7