is it safe to buy graphics cards from sites like amazon.ca?

swatx

Honorable
Mar 15, 2013
Hi there. So I know that using the word "safe" in the title is a poor choice of wording but is it trust-able to buy graphics cards there?

Ive never bought any electronic equipment's from amazon or any other online retail sites before (with the exception of Chromecast) mainly because I keep thinking what if there is a problem, is it a hassle to return electronic equipment online?

Main reason i'm asking this is because I was planning on buying the GTX 970 online from the electronics store franchise Future shop (here in Canada). Since Futureshop has stores located everywhere, I figured it would be easy to return the product if it had any problems.

So after doing my research and looking at the product on their site, the day I wanted to order it they had taken down all of their GTX 970 products from their site and I dont even know why.
Will they bring it back up again?

So now im thinking of buying the graphics card from amazon and my question is that is this a good choice or should I wait a little longer to see if they bring the ads back up.

Also, how important are anti-static wrist straps? Im not exactly your average computer builder. Kinda new to this.

Thanks.
(Sorry if this post doesnt belong in this section)

Math Geek

Titan
Ambassador
amazon is a trusted retailer even for the .ca store. you are perfectly safe buying from them. if there is a problem with the part, which is highly unlikely, you can return it to them with no hassles. in many years of building and buying parts online, i have returned 2 parts. this is literally with having bought parts and upgrades for thousands of pc's.

sleep well, amazon is a good seller.

oh and for the wrist strap, it's not needed. before you start simply touch some bare metal, such as the inside of the case, to ground yourself and it will be fine. if you walk away and come back later, reground yourself. but so long as your not sliding around on shag carpet in wool sock while building it, your not going to have any problems.

swatx

Honorable
Mar 15, 2013

Thanks alot for your help! However, I noticed that all the products sold on Amazon were too big to fit in my case. However, I did find this on Newegg.ca
Link:http://www.newegg.ca/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16814500362

since the Length is only 8.05'' or 20.4 cm I can fit it in. All im wondering now is that is Newegg as trusted as amazon?

swatx

Honorable
Mar 15, 2013

Thank you so much! My last question would be based on your expertise which of the 2 cards would you prefer?

http://www.newegg.ca/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16814500362
or
http://www.newegg.ca/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16814125706&cm_re=Gigabyte_GTX_970-_-14-125-706-_-Product

If you think both of them are the same, ill get the Gigabyte since my PU only has one 6+2 connector while the zotac requires 2. And seems like some people had trouble with heating?

Math Geek

Titan
Ambassador
that pretty much answers your question. if you don't have the 2 6 pins for the gigabit, then the zotac is your choice. i have never used one and have no experience with them but the reviews look fine for them and they have been reviewed favorably by tech sites.

what psu do you have by the way. the lack of connectors suggests low power. best to be sure you can run the card with it before buying and finding out the hard way.

swatx

Honorable
Mar 15, 2013

Thank you.
my PSU is a Cooler Master EX2 treme 525 W. Ive had it for a couple of years now with my Gigabyte GTX 650 and its been working fine.