Will this be a good build for gaming/editing?

Niclas Casserstedt

Reputable
Nov 14, 2014
I have selected a bunch of parts to buy when i have the money for it. I live in sweden so i took the price from our cheapest online stores.

Im mostly gonna play BF3, BF4, and possibly CoD AW. Im also planning on recording and edit my gameplays.

This is the parts im planning to buy: http://pcpartpicker.com/user/Th3AlphaC3ph/saved/sGXRsY

I didn't include a graphics card because i bought it earlier this year. Its a MSI R9 270 Gaming 2GB

Im using a 1920x1200 monitor

Is this a good build or should i change something? Thanks :)

LiteXtreme

Reputable
Feb 26, 2014
Looks pretty good and that i7 would probably run everything you throw at it.
Would have no problem gaming and editing but if you have a bigger budget, i'd sell that R9 270 and get a R9 280X/290X.

Niclas Casserstedt

Reputable
Nov 14, 2014

Thanks for the quick answer :) I was also planning on buying a second r9 270 to use in crossfire.
I bought the 270 for about 200$, so if im lucky i might get 150 or even 100$ for it. :/

For editing & rendering video, usually the CPU has the most impact. The i7 does well for many video editing & encoding packages (the faster the CPU speed, the faster the rendering), so you should be fine there. I personally wouldn't worry about liquid cooling as you're already pretty good in CPU speed, and I would sink that ~$70 into another upgrade that would be "felt" more.

I would either replace or just add a SSD as your main boot drive & apps drive. It will speed *everything* up, including loading your games faster. I would also replace your memory with ones that can hit 1866MHz and even 2133Mhz.

For the gaming, you could go higher with your video. A Nvidia GTX 970 would definitely be a step up, or even the AMD R9 290X/280X. But that can always be done later.

First let me ask you a question:

Are you going to overclocking?

Some Video Editing and applications would require atleast 16GB of RAM to speed up the Editing.

Niclas Casserstedt

Reputable
Nov 14, 2014

Yeah i might buy a ssd, i was planning on that but the one i was looking at got expensiver :/

Niclas Casserstedt

Reputable
Nov 14, 2014

No, im not planning on overclocking.

Some said that you only see a difference in rendering with 16GB when you render big video files like 4gb and up.
I really need benchmarks with 8 and 16gb ram to be convincing :)

Since you're not overclocking, then it's easy - drop the liquid cooler & go with the SSD. One of the best upgrades you'll make. In fact, I would drop the 1TB drive as well, and start off with a 240GB SSD; that cooler's cost + cost of 1TB should cover the SSD's cost) . Then add in a 3-4 TB 3.5" drive when you have the funds *and* actually need the extra storage (like for your videos).

Niclas Casserstedt

Reputable
Nov 14, 2014

So i should go with the stock cooler?
I guess i can go for a ssd with bigger storage, because im still gonna use my old hdd wich is at 500GB..
And i dont know if ill drop the 1TB hdd cause i wont have money for maybe 6 months after i buy the parts.

People bash the stock cooler all the time, but if you're not going to overclock, the stock cooler will be fine. Just make sure your case has good airflow. Since you're buying a new case, you should be fine there as most new cases usually are designed for better airflow.

I would definitely get a SSD first, and then I would use that 500GB as your secondary storage. Upgrade the regular spinning-disk drive when you have the funds & the need. By that time, you might be able to buy a 3-4TB drive for the same price.

Niclas Casserstedt

Reputable
Nov 14, 2014

I have now removed the water cooler from my cart and added a 120gb ssd.
I dont know about the airflow in the case i choose but it comes with fans. The case is a Corsair Carbide SPEC-01
Im also planning on adding 8gb ram so i have 16gb instead.
And i guess i can remove the 1TB hdd, cause even with loads af games and movies i couldnt fill the old one. So ill save some money from that.

In order to save more money I would recommend getting a xeon 1230 v3, these XEON's are server processors, but you can also use them in gaming PC's also. They are at the price of a I5, but deliver power of a I7 4770(NON-K) and offer hyperthreading. I would also put the money saved for a higher GB SSD :).

And a thing about a HDD, you could get a higher CACHE HDD. a 64MB cache WD Caviar Blue 1TB is a really great HDD that I would recommend.

Niclas Casserstedt

Reputable
Nov 14, 2014

The xeon you wrote about wasnt in the store where im buying all the other parts. And the cheapest store had it for 30-40$ more than the i7. From all ive heard when watching videos about computers, gaming rigs etc.etc, in all of those videos have almost everyone said that the i7 is much more sutable for gaming than the xeon cpus. The only servers i have run or might run is only some Minecraft servers now and then.

Right now have i choosen the i7 4790k but i dont get the money for another 4-5 months (4 april). So i still have time to decide :)

Alrighty then, but by that time there might be better parts haha :p

Niclas Casserstedt

Reputable
Nov 14, 2014

This is my cart so far :) https://www.komplett.se/k/shoplist.aspx?mode=receive&si=1485773&su=1CDC8629-7B70-471E-8FED-7ED5247C01FE
Its from a swedish site :) The price of all parts is at 954$, i could save like 200$ or more if i bought it from amazon but the price of the tollgate (customs) was like 100$ (when i was gonna buy a mobo and cpu) so i cant buy from there :p

Only thing i would change from that list is the CX, they use poor capacitors and die easily. I recommend XFX, Seasonic, Rosewill Hive.

http://www.tomshardware.com/answers/id-1804779/power-supply-unit-tier-list.html

Basically anything Tier 1 - Tier 2b is what I recommend.

Niclas Casserstedt

Reputable
Nov 14, 2014

How is this one? Cooler Master G650M
I cant go to high on the psu cause im already a bit over my budget.
And the XFX psu's at the same price isn't modular.
I really want a modular psu cause ive had a standard all the time and the cables is everywhere :/